Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lekadb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Old credit card debt settled previously
    I had some cc debt that was sent to a collection agency... the account was settled and I only have the bank statements to prove that I had sent the checks to that collection agency in this case phillips and burns llc . However the account was sent to another agency just now and they are trying to collect on the same debt, what is the best course of action knowing that I do not have a paid in full letter from the previous collection agency?. the weird thing about it the new agency is trying to work on it with me instead of harassing me like the previous one would... please help
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 12:07 PM

Write them a letter and include all the proof you can.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 02:17 PM

The problem is exactly what you pointed out: you have nothing from the 1st collection agency showing that you settled in full, so it just looks like you made a really large payment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 04:42 PM

Yes, if you "settled" for less than the full amount and did not get it in writing before you sent them the money, guess what, it really never happened, most collection people lie about settling and unless they send it to you in writing will deny they ever said it.

So your cancelled checks should be proof of at leat the money you sent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Settled credit card debts [ 9 Answers ]

I want to settle a credit card debt with a collection agency and the credit card company still owns it. After we agree on a settlement, I will send them a letter of agreement that states they are authorized by the credit card company to do this and they will remove it from my credit report. I saw a...

Working with a credit agency on a charged off debt I thought was settled [ 1 Answers ]

Years ago, three days after my ex and I filed for divorce, I received a small credit card for $300. I paid it regularly and on time until they hit me with an "annual fee" that I thought was a "one time start up fee". It threw the card over the limit, they slapped over the limit fees on that,...

View more questions Search