Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmo11 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Sole custody vs. Joint custody
    I currently have joint custody of my two children and I have physical placement. Their mother has had another child that is about 3 years old and she is currently going through a custody battle in which this child's father is going for sole custody due to my ex's habitual drug use and her inability to co-parent. I have been considering going back to court to ask for sole custody as well due to the same reasons as well as other issues like completely cutting off communication with our children since Nov. thus not taking her supervised visitation set forth in the court order. My boys are completely lost and upset that she has once again dropped out of their lives and they no way to even contact her to find out why or tell her how they feel.

Are there any benefits of having sole custody vs. joint? Due to changes in circumstances (she can't hold a job, DCF has taken her younger son away, she had a baby that had severe heart problems due to her drug use, no way to contact via phone or address, not taking visitation, not paying court ordered CS or 50% medical expenses, etc... ) since joint custody was established, would judge reconsider? I have been considering moving to acquire a better job. Would having sole custody make it so I could move without her consent?

FL
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2009, 11:40 AM

Sole custody will mean you don't have to consult her on certain decisions affecting the children. However, as long as there is a visitation schedule in place, you have to get the court's permission to move or modify that schedule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sole Custody? [ 8 Answers ]

Is there a way to get a "court document" stating that I have legal "sole custody" of my son, without a long drawn out court issue? I am trying to migrate to Australia with my husband who is an Australian citizen. My son's biological father has never had any contact with my son (by his choice)....

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

Joint custody/joint physcial custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I got married in 1993, we separated in 1996, got back together in the same year, My now ex-husband file for divorce in 2000, I did not respond to the divorce, I did not respond due to not getting an court date to appear (divorce papers were served to me while living with ex at the time) due...

Getting sole custody [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 6 months pregnant and going through a divorce (though my lawyer is trying for an annullment due to fraud on my husbands behalf). He keeps telling me that he is going to take the baby and that there is nothing that me or my family can do about it. He also called last night and left a voicemail...

View more questions Search