Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geoffdillow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 08:23 AM
    I recently got out and are looking for grants I live in Ohio
    I recenly got out for drugs charge. I was told by my PO I could go to college and get a grant cause I'm a felon. I already have a cert. in business tech and are good with numbers and sales. I want to go for finance and economics with a minor in business management I thought this through and that would be my best subjects. I would like to know how to file for it in Ohio.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 22, 2009, 09:33 AM
    The grant for college would likely be the Pell Grant. If you contact your local community college and ask to speak with a counselor they will help you get started with College. You will need to go in and fill out some papers They will tell you what days you can come in and do the reading and math placement tests Do not sweat these too much It is just to make sure you get the required foundation classes.
    Most of us need a basic English and math. I Sucked at math and writing I was OK but needed polish. (my health stopped me from going in though)
    Then she will tell you to go to the site and fill out the Pell Grant info for your grant (site link below) You can actually do this on your own Now.
    Than once you do placement tests They will have you come back and tell you what classes you MUST take and help you find a path and pick to help you on that path.

There are programs at most colleges like Work Study that while you attend school they give you a part time job at the college and pay you for the work Plus you also would apply and likely get the Pell grant
    More on the grant listed here
    Federal Pell Grant Program
    If you plan on attending in the Summer or Fall you will want to get on the ball now as you should get the funding approved as soon as possible.

I will say though depending on your situation with just returning to college and depending on where you are in your recovery I would try not to overwhelm yourself with job college etc. Taking a full schedule at college can be hard when you are coming back after being out for a bit So try to move slow and know that you can not do it all.

As far as things Just for recovering addicts The local Health dept in your county will likely have a drug treatment Outpatient and a counselor there may be able to tell you about any special programs. In all honesty most budgets have been cut and those type programs sadly are the first to go.

I do think though depending on where you are in your recovery you can always benefit from some counseling and groups
    By the way I have been clean for 13 years. It does get easier and it is a better life believe that.
    Good Luck and Keep going up. If you do slip jump back on the horse and ride again though do not roll around on the ground too long cause it gets harder after every relapse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any free small business grants or grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an ex-felon trying to get on with my life and become a possitive person for myself and my children and for the comity that I live in is there any kind of grants I can get to open up a business I would only need about 10,000 to have everything up and going

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 2 Answers ]

What are rules for filing

Grants for Education in Ohio for Disabled Adults [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what grants and scholarships are available in Ohio, for a non-traditional disabled student.

What age dose children decide where they want to live Ohio [ 12 Answers ]

My son is 14 yrs old and has stated he wants to live with his father because he doesn't like his sister so he has gone to his father and he has filed stuff with the courts for custody and a gal has been assigned to my son and this gal has told me that I could very well lose my son just because he...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search