Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jywlkrs26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Small Claims victory, but what next
    My former employer/friend laid me off owing me $2400. He continually said he'd pay me soon. But when my home was in danger of being foreclosed on, my lender wanted proof that the money was owed, so I took him to small claims court. The court ruled in my favor. That was over one year ago and I still have not received any money. I've heard that unless he applies for a loan I may never get the money owed to me ( If he applies for a loan, the loan would not be granted until his debt to me has been taken care of. )
    Is there something else I can do, such as file a writ, to put pressure on him to pay me?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 09:01 AM

Find out where he banks and put a freeze on his accounts to have the money garnished.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2009, 09:39 AM

This is the Catch 22 of judgements. Getting the judgement is generally the easy part, but then you have to collect. You need to find his assets and file for a writ of attachment.

Did you sue your employer personally or his company?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Some states permit oral hearing in which you can demand they list their assets for you to attach. Check the court rules in your states
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Mar 10, 2009, 03:46 PM
    We concur with all the other posts thus far.

We would only add that a garnishment can generally be used to intercept any money destined for a debtor. Consequently, if you know who the customers are of your former employer you could direct garnishments to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small Claims [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement in small claims on an ex-spouse and I was wondering if you can garnish someone's disability wages, the state is Kansas

My mom taken me to small claims [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is taking e to small claims court. The money she says I owe her is not what I agree with how does judge decide ? Nothing in writing just verbal

Going to Small Claims [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I breed boxers and sold a puppy to a young couple. They had called me 2 weeks later saying the puppy was soiling in her cage and they had to bathe her 2 times a day, I offered to take her back since she wasn't gone so long but they called me 2 days later and refused saying they were just...

Small claims [ 3 Answers ]

I owe a few small loan companies, nothing over 250.00.. Can they garnish or am I liable for these debts since Im on social security disability?

Small claims [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if there is a statue of limitations as far as small claims is concerned? From 2002 to 2006 off and on I was sending my now ex boyfriend money to stay in a hotel and supposedly money for us a place. I was to join him. But that did not happen. So is it to late to file? I can prove the...

View more questions Search