Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tombo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 04:53 PM
    Upgrading to programmable ac/heating thermostat
    I am replacing an old thermostat for ac/heating. There are 5 wires red, white, orange, black, green.
    My new unit (Noma programmable thermostat).

The instructions indicate points of connection using red, white, yellow, green.
    My confusion is, where do I connect orange and black, because there are only wire connections on my new unit, marked, green, red, yellow, white.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Is this a heat pump that you have?

Aug 27, 2006, 05:46 PM
    My apology, I should have mentionted that it is an electric forced air furnace.

Aug 27, 2006, 05:47 PM
    It is an electric furnace.
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Is it only heat and cool? A heat pump will heat and cool but is backed by electric(gas & Oil,also)
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Normally red=R(24V power on stat, grn= G to fan relay, WhiteW= heat, Yel=Y cooling contactor. What terminals were the colors on on the olsd stat? Org is usually o on stat to energise rev valve and the blk could be common. Possibly need to see haw the air handler is wired to be for sure

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell Programmable Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Should My Thermostats Panel Operate On The 2 Aa Backup Batteries Or Be Hardwired To Common And Have Batteries As Backup When Power Is Out? Panel Lights Up With Batteries In, Does Not Without Batteries. Don't Know Where Common Wire Originates From. Can I Splice Into One Of The Other Wires, G, Y,...

Programmable thermostat went blank [ 12 Answers ]

Our thermostat (which has been serving solely as a thermometer since the last time we used the heat in the spring) blanked out yesterday afternoon. I checked the inside temp. during the day, then last evening the face was completely blank. It is completely unresponsive to any button pushing. I...

Noma Programmable thermostat [ 14 Answers ]

I have tried to replace a conventional lever action mercury thermostat with a new digital programmable Noma thermostat. The AC works fine but when I turn on the heat, the AC come on then too and not the heat. I have no heat. This was the wiring for the original thermostat: Orange -> Y Red ->...

Need help wiring Honeywell programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 5-2 programmable Honeywell thermostat - replacing my old mercury unit. Have a spilt-system Bryant heat pump. Brown - Br Green - G White - W1 Blue - B Yellow - Y Red - R Connected G, W1, Y and R (not B, not Br). Heat works fine. Just switched to cooling and I only get hot air. Any...

View more questions Search