Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    need2no1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Swallowing sarcoid infected blood
    I was diagnosed with sarcoid of the lungs about three years ago and have periodic coughing episodes where I cough up blood. It seems to be getting worse. In the beginning I would go to the bathroom and spit it out and I would make a mess leaving blood spatters all over everything. Now I just swallow with a napkin over my mouth. I've noticed on occasion after an episode I would experience a burning sensation either on the left side of my head leg or underneath my arm. I guess my question would be can my own blood cause some kind of viral infection with symptoms such fever in various part of the body.
    Thanks for advice or direction. I need2no
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 12:32 AM
    This is something you will need to discuss with your doctor.
    Holistic Doctor Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Apr 3, 2009, 09:30 AM

Sarcoidosis is not caused by a Virus (its cause is unknown to us still).

The blood you are coughing up from the granulomatous lesions in your respiratory system (lungs, probably) is sterile and uninfected.
    Swallowing it can do no harm to you whatsoever.

Apr 3, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    This is something you will need to discuss with your doctor.
    I did and had to be admitted through the emergency room to get the beeding under control.
    I'm better now. Thanks for your response.

Apr 3, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Holistic Doctor View Post
    Sarcoidosis is not caused by a Virus (its cause is unknown to us still).

The blood you are coughing up from the granulomatous lesions in your respiratory system (lungs, probably) is sterile and uninfected.
    Swallowing it can do no harm to you whatsoever.
    I guess the fever was some other kind of viral because the doctor put me on about a month of anti-biotic treatment. The bleeding have stopped. Thanks for your response.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 3, 2009, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by need2no1 View Post
    I guess the fever was some other kind of viral because the doctor put me on about a month of anti-biotic treatment. The bleeding have stopped. Thanks for your response.
    If you are on antibiotics, it is most likely not a virus. A virus runs its course then is gone. Antibiotics are given for a bacterial infection such as strep throat for example.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the belly piercing necessarily need to look infected to be infected? [ 9 Answers ]

Does it? Mine doesn't hurt and people say it doesn't look infected at all. But I'm scared help

Swallowing Gum While Being Pregnant [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently in my first trimester with my first child. I love to chew bubble gum and I have a habit of swallowing my gum. Is it going to hurt my unborn child?

Swallowing pills [ 17 Answers ]

I've always had a lot of trouble swallowing pills.. even when I take them with lots of water, I gag really badly and often almost throw up. My usual solution has been to avoid pills altogether, but now that I'm pregnant I need to take vitamins. So, any suggestions to make the pill swallowing...

View more questions Search