Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2009, 03:35 PM
    More Americans losing religion
    Ok, here's a hot topic for people to discuss:

Scranton, news, obituaries, sports and shopping | thetimes-tribune.com | The Times-Tribune

I found this an interesting article. Seems to me that Americans are becoming more pragmatic and having less faith in organized religion. I was particularly attracted by this quote:
    "The current survey, being released Monday, found traditional organized religion playing less of a role in many lives."
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Mar 9, 2009, 04:06 PM

I think the line between saved people and those who are not is becoming increasingly sharp. I expect the trend to continue.

Christians, in the true sense of being
    Dedicated followers of Jesus Christ have always been a minority. That fact is simply becoming more obvious.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 04:06 PM

I saw on my local TV news over the weekend that the Catholic Church is closing several churches in the Cleveland area and selling off the church items to other churches. I guess that attendance and the collection plate take isn't enough for them in a town that is dying so they're closing up shop and moving on to greener pastures.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Mar 9, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    I think the line between saved people and those who are not is becoming increasingly sharp. I expect the trend to continue.

dedicated followers of Jesus Christ have always been a minority. That fact is simply becoming more obvious.
    Jesus is definitely making clear who is His and who is not.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 06:00 PM

About time organized religion dies. That will make room for true Christians to really come out of the background and show the true meaning of being a Christian.
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 9, 2009, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Seems to me that Americans are becoming more pragmatic and having less faith in organized religion. I was particularly attracted by this quote:
    "The current survey, being released Monday, found traditional organized religion playing less of a role in many lives."
    I'm just struck by the fact that while the economy is going down the tubes, and tax payers are losing their jobs, there are still multi-million dollar churches being built everywhere you look.

Folks around here are beginning to ask where the church gets it's money from to build such a structure, on prime realty, with prime frontage. We have had two churches built in the last three years that are big enough to sponsor professional sporting events in and take up more than six acres each. When churches start looking more like big business, and less like spiritual congregation... I can see why "organized religion plays less of a role".
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 07:55 PM

DieselJunkie - Yes I quite agree with you there about churches building bigger buildings. I have one such "church" that is a Baptist church and private school. Each time I drive past their facility they are adding more and more buildings and more parking spaces. I guess some religions don't believe in small churches and the bigger the better fits them just fine. The yearly tuition to this megachurch school for one kid is between $5-8,000 per year that the parents have to come up with.

Mar 9, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    DieselJunkie - Yes I quite agree with you there about churches building bigger buildings.
    I have also noticed that the preachers no longer live in a humble parsonage. They are kicking back in 5000 square foot dream homes and driving escalades and lexus. We have a pentecostal 'preacher' here local that mysteriously got a brand new $500k home at the same time the church got it's insurance money after the hurricane. Funny, that many of his congregation still has the blue fema tarps on their roofs, or are still living in fema cottages. We even have a "biker church", and many nonsensical 'churches' that have popped up in everything from mobile homes, portables, and old rezoned homes.

The word is out, organized religion is where the money's at, and it's tax free! Which brings me back to where does the money come from?
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 10:04 PM

Oh the government has some sort of handout to the churches so they'll "push" the agenda that the government wants such as "obey the government" type baloney. A lot of sheeple think that because my pastor told us, then it must be true. I forget offhand which denominations are the proud recipients of all this cash hand outs from the govt. But I'm pretty sure that the bunch down the road from me sure have their hands out big time.

I used to go to church but ever since they were pushing the Rick Warren book at Sunday school after reading it I completely stopped going. Also, there were 3 services on Sunday. One was traditional (which I went to) and the other two were basically "trash" consisting of a band (yes, a band) and I don't remember the other service "theme" but that was the final straw with the Rick Warren book for me. Haven't looked back since. I actually feel a bit better spiritually as well now being able to think for myself so to speak.

What really scares me is the Muslim stuff is getting more "play" in the media than Christianity now. I hope we are not going to be under Sharia law with the honor killings. That is horrid to think that a wife or daughter can be beheaded for stupid reasons by the husband or father. I shudder to think of this coming to America and being allowed.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7 View Post
    Jesus is definitely making clear who is His and who is not.
    Amen to that. The goats will be herded out of the flock and only the faithful will remain.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post

dedicated followers of Jesus Christ have always been a minority. That fact is simply becoming more obvious.
    Amen to that! The bible is clear that in the last days there will be a "falling away" before the tribulation period. I personally know people who called themselves " saved" who have walked away from truth for a more liberal, tolerant way to believe. It sounds good doesn't it? The problem is it is false... the road is very wide and we see it more and more.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 08:34 AM
    I read another survey that said the same thing Scott. I'm pleased with this, less divisiveness on the horizon.

Mar 10, 2009, 09:08 AM

We should keep something in mind about money the church gets. I comes from voluntary contributions. When the congregation ceases to trust the leadership, the money will stop.

Churches do not get money from the government. Certain faith based programs may, but those are things that benefit the community, not the church. Churches are tax exempt, but ministers are not.

What defines "organized" religion? As I understand it, the survey made no distinction between basic differences in organizations, whether Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical, or Pentecostal, etc. A clearer picture could be seen if the survey had been broken down into the various groups. I think it can be shown that some groups are actually growing.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 11:04 AM

I believe that people are starting to realize that there is a difference between religion and spirituality,
    While traditional churches are losing members by the hundreds the mega churches like Joel Osteen and local churches like them are packed as well as the New Age spiritual movement.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Good, there is hope for humanity yet.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 11:11 AM

Hello Scott:

Given my belief that religion was a great idea whose time has passed, the results don't surprise me at all.

excon
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Mar 10, 2009, 06:23 PM

Respondents who called themselves "non-denominational Christian" grew from 0.1 percent in 1990 to 3.5 percent last year.

Perhaps this is a message to the traditional denominations.

I've found that many churches don't really display love. Either amongst the congregation or to those that are lost.

Due to recent moves in the past several years, I've found that those churches that do preach about sin and judgment, but also emphasize forgiveness, mercy, love, and deeds as a result of faith, are growing by leaps and bounds.

G&P

Mar 11, 2009, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I believe that people are starting to realize that there is a difference between religion and spirituality,
    I sure hope so. There's more than enough religion to go around. It's the spirituality that is lacking. I'll take spirituality over religion, anyday.

Mar 11, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vwdieseljunkie View Post
    I sure hope so. There's more than enough religion to go around. It's the spirituality that is lacking. I'll take spirituality over religion, anyday.
    Spirituality can be either good or bad.

Having the presence and move of the Holy Spirit in your church or life is good spirituality.

Having some occult demonstration, as in communication with the dead or spirit guides, is an evil thing.

Either can be called spiritual.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Mar 13, 2009, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vwdieseljunkie View Post
    I have also noticed that the preachers no longer live in a humble parsonage. They are kicking back in 5000 square foot dream homes and driving escalades and lexus. We have a pentecostal 'preacher' here local that mysteriously got a brand new $500k home at the same time the church got it's insurance money after the hurricane. Funny, that many of his congregation still has the blue fema tarps on their roofs, or are still living in fema cottages. We even have a "biker church", and many nonsensical 'churches' that have popped up in everything from mobile homes, portables, and old rezoned homes.

The word is out, organized religion is where the money's at, and it's tax free! Which brings me back to where does the money come from?
    Not all people in the churches, including the pastors, may be really obedient to the Bible. Unfortunately, their hypocrisy is what everyone sees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Job - Losing House - Losing Relationship! [ 5 Answers ]

My b/f & I were OK until a year ago when he lost his very lucatrive job. We've used all our savings & we've maxed our cc's to no avail. We're behind on the house we live in in which he's the only one on mtg. this house has no equity. We have another house under both our names in another state...

Losing my religion II [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know what happened to my previous question? It's missing or has been deleted. It was about a struggle I'm having as a Muslim woman and this was the only place I could turn for help. I had already had 3 responses (from Fr_Chuck, Gem_0225 and another from someone who discussed freedom...

Losing relationship of 6 years / Losing 2 Houses [ 5 Answers ]

I've been with my b/f for over 6 years. About 2 years ago I moved to another state with him to try to make things work better for us, financially & personal. He lost a very lucrative job about a year ago (the co. closed down) which paid for a house we both are on mtg & he also paid for another...

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

View more questions Search