Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truckzilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Guardianship
    I recently received a consent of guardianship form stating that my ex-wife is seeking guardianship for my 18 year old son. He lives in a home for disabled children.
    The consent form does not show that it has been filed through the court system. My question is: "Is this the proper way of seeking guardianship or should I question this further?" Please advice
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Definitely question it further. Contact an attorney and present him/her with a copy of the form in question. If you don't know an attorney then contact the Lawyer Referral Service for your county of residence and inform them that you need to consult with a family lawyer concerning guardianship of a disabled adult child.
    mrcmstr Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Is this child a regional center client... because even if she is granted guardianship, regional center will keep an extra close eye on him and his rights as an adult. They are very active with "personal rights". Does he live with you and she wants him to live with her? If so, I would try to make sure that you are his "payee" with all his finances. Regional center can assist with that. Any other questions you have regarding your son, I am sure regional center can assist you with... they are a great support and service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guardianship rules [ 4 Answers ]

I am the court appointed guardian to my mother who is in a nursing home. She is senile, and is now running out of money and I am told it is time for me to sell the house. I want to buy it to live there while I take care of it. Does anyone know how I can do that, if its legal and what the rules are?

Guardianship of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I need to obtain legal guardianship of my nephew he is 15 and has been living with me since July do I need to get a lawyer or can I just file the necessary paperwork on my own? Also if I can do it on my own where do I find the paperwork I need. The guardianship will not be contested by a parent. I...

Guardianship [ 4 Answers ]

My mom is trying to get temp. guardianship of my nieces and nephew. But, doesn't know where to start or what to do. I need help.

Guardianship questions [ 6 Answers ]

My niece is 14 yrs old and has lived with her grandmother (her mother's mom) up until last year or maybe the year before. Her mother abandoned her and her father (my brother) wasn't able to take her in until just recently. My mother has also taken her from time to time. Now my brother can't...

View more questions Search