Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cathiehunter72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 11:58 AM
    1940 Wheat Penny
    How much is a 1940 silver wheat penny worth?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 12:12 PM

Hi, cathiehunter72!

I just moved your question from Other Money & Services to this forum topic area so that your question will be more likely to be noticed and addressed by our coin and currency Expert, Flying Blue Eagle.

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 06:47 PM

Cathiehunter72 - I will need the following in order to give you the answer to your question:: #1- Look on the front side by the date(JUST BELOW THE DATE) IT COULD BE {NO MINT MARK OR THERE COULD BE A (D)-
    OR A(S),EXAMPLE-1940,1940 D ECT. #@ I need to know just what condition the coin is in
    And if you will go to the following ,you will see how to grade a coin and it's condition;; THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GIVE YOU YOUR ANSWER < ;;Waiting your reply with the answers to my questions ,thanks ,AND HAVE A GOOD DAY AND GOD BLESS::F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 12:14 AM

Hi, F.B.E.

What about the fact that she mentions that it's silver?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 09:33 PM

CLOUGH - THERE were no silver pennys struck in 1940;; iN 1943 there was new metal used for the 1943 issyes, some placets were struck in 1944 of the same metals but they were steel planchets;; THE METAL WAS CHANGED DUE TO THE SHORTAGE OF COPPER< WHAT WAS USED WAS { ZINC-COATED STEEL} IT WAS CALLED { VARIETY 2
    ) HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND CATHIEhunter72
    ::SORRY BUT THE ONLY WAY THAT COULD BE POSSIBLE <IS IF SOMEONE HAD MELTED SILVER AND COATED THE PENNY WITH THE SILVER :: HAVE A GREAT DAY AND GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 11:15 PM

Thanks, F.B.E.

I did know about the steel pennies. Perhaps she might be misreading the year? Just a thought...

I hope that cathiehunter72 returns!
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 10:27 PM

Clough- good evening ,hope youer doing ok ,i'm ok ,thank the good lord;; as to the question about a silver penny, as far as i can remember there has never been a silver penny struck in any yeareven back in the 1900, it was coppeer<brase< zink< a combination of metals but no silver> i may be wrong but im going to look it up and checkto find out<im talking about a usa coin> by the way there is going to be a new lioncoln penny struck this year< it is sharp < i can hardly wait till i get my proof sets this year< also they are adding % or & quarters to the statehood quarters< <it is ones that is possions of the usa< like virgin iland <petor rico etc<and ditric of columbia( washington dc:: i thought id pass this information on to you <you need to get an order in asap to the us mint<that is the way they said they were going to give out the proofs on them>> if you need to know how to order them threw the mint <just hioller< i have it < did you get the coin book? Have a better day tomorrow and god bless ::f.b.e.
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 10:57 PM

Hi, F.B.E.

Thanks for the information! I haven't gotten the book yet because I'm somewhat short on money right now.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 12:29 AM

Clough < you say short<we'er all so short that we are onl 2ft.tall and i used to be 5"10"but im a lot better off then a lot more people in the usa: i feel for every one of them : i never thought that i would see anything like this in america! I think that a lot of tjhis bank rup and co's saying going to go bankrup unless we get so much money from the gov. and the stock market> banks ect> a lot of them got the money friom the gov> and then <the big wheels went to big resorts and had a ball< pluss getting these big raises and so forth< make more then the president does by far::
    Watch and see <a lot of these co's. Are going to use this as a excuse to move out of the usa> cheep labor< send it back to good ol usa and sell it for more then when it was made in this country< now answer this ::who's making the profit and getting richer off the citizens of this country? I get so upset when i get started on this subject: back in the
    Early 1970's i used to tell people to stop buying this forign made stuff <that they were cutting americas throat: and look what has happened:
    The us gov. should put so high a taxes on the co's that has moved to other countries ,that they would beg to come bact to america ;; there are more then 2,500 american,co's in china alone: hay buddy <sorry to bend your ears i'll talk tomorrow have a very good day tomorrow and only thing left for us all is god bless; f.b.e.
    bubaswain Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
    Stop fighting its worth a penny

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

1940 or 50s movie [ 1 Answers ]

This movie played on New York TV in black and white.It was a war comedy ,with lots of ducks and soldiers.maybe in italy??

1930-1940 bedroom suite [ 2 Answers ]

I, recently, bought my Grandparents house and am trying to get rid of everything in it, so that I can move in. There is a beautiful late 30's to early 40's Thomasville French provincial or french country bedroom suite. There is a double bed, 2 dressers - one with a mirror, a nightstand and a...

How much is a 1940 wheat penny worth [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know how much it is worth

1944 copper wheat back penny [ 2 Answers ]

I was going through some old English money this evening and found a U.S. wheat back penny from 1944. I'm wondering if this coin has any value?

View more questions Search