Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annrule3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 11:54 AM
    Wireless Router Connected but "Local" Access to Internet Only
    I recently relocated where I had to change ISP. I am also recently divorced and my ex husband had the key to our Lynksis router, so I used an old verizon wireless to connect.. at the time my ISP was Time Warner, they're not available in my area and I am now using Comcast. Anyhow, I called tech support which had me plug my modem into my laptop and finally got a connection.. she then said to take the modem out and plug into the router and I should be fine... well, I have no connection. It says that I am connected to my router but with local access only?? At one point, I did something and it seems like I got a DNS server error message. Is there a wizard or something I need to run to change settings? Like I said, I have used this Verizon router with Time Warner in the past without a problem. I am on a new laptop... does that have something to do with it?

Thank you for any assistance offered. I work from home and it is driving me crazy to sit in one spot!
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 18, 2009, 11:12 AM

Reset your router back to the factory defaults and start over again. There should be a reset button on the back of the unit. Disconnect the power from your router, hold the reset button down and plug the power back in. Continue to hold the reset button down for at least 10 seconds.

Then plug in an ethernet cable from your laptop to one of the four ports on your router (not the WAN port).

Click on Start, Run and type CMD and hit enter. Type IPCONFIG /ALL. Scroll up and look for the GATEWAY ADDRESS. It is probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

Open your browser and type http://192.168.1.1 or what ever the gateway address was. You should now have the remote management for your router with the default logon password. Try logging in with no user name and the password is "admin". If this is not your default password, consult your setup documentation for your router.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connected to wireless network. Can't access internet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP which is connected to a wireless network. Windows is currently managing my wireless connection, and tells me that I am connected to my network and the signal strength is excellent. I have always been able to use the internet perfectly on this laptop...

I am connected to my router but not the internet [ 6 Answers ]

help! I had to format my hard drive and reinstall windows xp. I only had a sp1 cd, I am currently trying to get sp2 to install. I have reinstalled the drivers for my acer travelmate 2420 my wireless network adapter is atheros ar5005g wireless network adapter I also have a realtek...

What I want to do if "local disk drive c" opens automatically [ 3 Answers ]

Hi; When I am log in to my computer each time my "local disk drive c" is opening automatically.what I want to do stop opening of drive.

Connected to wireless router but no internet [ 2 Answers ]

I am running windows XP home on my notebook. My wife's desktop is connected through the router via and eithernet cable. I can see and connect to the router, but cannot get internet. I keep getting the work offline screen. Please Help. Michael

View more questions Search