Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starletshelton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 11:23 AM
    How long do I have to wait to file child abandonment charges?
    I live in the state of GA. And I have full custody of my 3 year old son. My ex-husband hasn't seen his son in over a month, he hasn't even called to see how he is doing. I'm trying to find out how long I have to wait to file child abandonment charges, and how I would get the right court papers to file without a Lawyer. First I was told to get them for the court, but the courts told me they don't give that paper work out. Is there anyone that can help, Thank you.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 01:28 PM

Charges for what? Child support? Do you want him to be arrested and thrown in jail for being a jerk?

What is it that you are looking to accomplish?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 02:08 PM

You don't file abandoment, that is used in civil court to change or modify the court order, You can use it to take away part of his visits.

Next in GA, merely not paying child support and not visiting can not be used to take any rights away.

And in general, if it has been perhaps 12 months but a month, no that is nothing.

Now you can take him back to court for non payment if and when he is behind on child support.

But as noted, since you can't take his rights away, are you wanting to take some of his visit time away, take him back to court for contempt for not paying?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2009, 02:33 PM

In Georgia, when a parent does not support their child, then they can be charged with abandonment. That is used to force them to pay support.

However, you can't force a parent to see their child. So you need to make clear what it is you are after.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long can you wait to press charges on a theft a household? [ 5 Answers ]

I really need to know how long you could wait to press charges on someone that I know who broke into a house and stole stuff.

Brothers wife trying to file abandonment charges [ 1 Answers ]

My older brother has recently moved in with me and my husband and kids. He left his wife and one year old daughter who live in the same town. It has been less than a month and her mother is trying to have her file child abandonment on him. He has been to see her and has talked to her on the phone...

How long would I wait if I file for an anullment [ 3 Answers ]

I got married two months ago and its not what I expected so I want out as soon as possible like right now how long would it take for an anullment please help

When to file abandonment charges on a mother [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew,s mother has been in an abusive relationship on and off for about 9 years.about 3 months ago she left with my nephew and her other son,she went to her brother,s house last week sometime she went back to her boyfriend and left ny nephew at her brother's house.this is my brother's son,my...

View more questions Search