Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DADAMH1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Adopting my fiance's child
    I have been living with my fiance' for over 5 years now and she has a son from a previous relationship. The son was about 18 months when they moved in with me. I love him he calls me dad he only seen his biological father 2 times between 18 months and the time he was 3 years old. His biological moved about 150 miles away shortly after my fiance' and him broke up. He had not paid child support regularly and finally the last 8 months or so he must have kept a job because the government has found him and started taken child support from his checks. After being out of his sons life nearly four years and completely out of town for nearly three years he is back in town and wanting to see his son. He says since he is paying child support he is entitled. I wanted to adopt the boy. My fiance' and I are considered common law married in the State of Colorado. What can I do? This guy denied paternity once until it was proven in court and has never shown any interest in this boys life. Now that the boy is 5 he wants to be a dad. I have been doing his job for him and I really don't want to just give that up since he has came back from his vacation from reality.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2009, 11:08 AM

Ok, first, Colorado is one of a few states to still recognize common law marriage.

But that doesn't mean anything as long as the father does not want to relinquish his rights.

The only thing you have going for you is that child support will end if he allows you to adopt. Otherwise you are unlikely to get approval to adopt as long as the bio father refuses to allow it.
    DADAMH1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 11:24 AM

Thank you scottgem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my fianc?'s kids [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how to go about adopting my fiance's children the oldest has no father on his birth certificate but the younger one does, they both have the same father but he has not seen them or contacted them in years. The courts are going after him for child support that he has not paid in 12...

Adopting girlfriends child [ 4 Answers ]

Ive read the forums but cannot find specific info on this. Our situation: my girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years. We have a baby girl together. She came into the relationship with an 11 month old son whom I love dearly and have raised as my own and fully intend to continue to for...

Adopting a child [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Alabama and my child is 6. Well his dad is in the U.S Navy and I haven't talk to him in over 2 or 3 years. I am married now and I want to know if my husband can adopt my child. I have a court date scheduled for April 7th, but I have a feeling that he is not going to show up. If he do not...

Can I give my child my fianc?'s last name if he's already on her birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I want to legally change my daughters last name to my fiance's last name. Her biological father hasn't been in her life or tried to since she's been born. I gave my child his last name because I thought he was going to take part of her life. Do I have to seek her real father's permission to change...

My fianc?'s ex-wife calls constantly, they have a child together. He told her to stop [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé is divorced from his ex-wife. They have a ten year old daughter together. At the time there are no child support orders in affect, he just sends her $60 dollars a week. Recently he has spent hundreds of dollars on his daughter during visitation and by request for money from his ex....

View more questions Search