Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmelman3013 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Education Grants for Ex Convicts
    I was stupid back in 1988 and enetered into a tech school after serving 3.5 years in a Texas prison. The school knew I was just out and never bothered to tell me my degree would be no good due to my criminal history. Now I am stuck with major Student loan. Is their anybody that may know of a progarm that can assist me in getting rid of the Student Loan.
    I went back to the school and basically they said tough,

Any suggestions would be greatly aprreciated
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 09:58 AM

No, there are no such programs. You - unfortunately - were responsible for verifying that you could be licensed, bonded, whatever the problem is in your line of work.

Also, most student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and don't run out of Statute.

What profession did you train for?
    kmelman3013 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Judy
    Thanks for your response, all of what you commented on I already know. I studied for X Ray tech and the school told me that there would be no problem getting placement. Now it is impossible to get a license. However I still pay on my SL but don't like it. Presently working in Computer technology sales.

have a great day
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelman3013 View Post
    Judy
    Thanks for your response, all of what you commented on I already know. I studied for X Ray tech and the school told me that there would be no problem getting placement. Now it is impossible to get a license. However I still pay on my SL but don't like it. Presently working in Computer technology sales.

have a great day

You're not the only one who has posted with this problem - and I'm not sure schools are terribly honest with you enroll.

Have you looked into licensing in other States?
    gradschoolguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 11:08 PM
    well, I would suggest that you step over the problem. If you have the background in x-ray science, see if you can't get approved to further the education and get into research. I imagine that the problem with licensing is that you will have to work with patients, and there are certainly laws against former convicts working with medical patients--particularly if the offense is sex-related (though I'm not asking, none of my business). But in the field of medical research, the work is scientific, and involves no contact with patients. Perhaps you could approach from this angle and in the end make more money in the future. Additionally, consider petitioning non-governmental institutions, private organizations, NGOs, the ACLU, maybe even a national x-ray technician labor organization if one exists... there are many people and organizations out there that have a vested interest in aiding ex-offenders return to normalcy and the best way to do this bar-none, is through education. You may have to spin your experience (i.e. adversity to education), but that, I imagine, is not so far from the truth.

-I am an ex convict (5 years) currently in Master's Program in an Ivy League institution, and plan to proceed with the PhD. From my own experience, full disclosure when necessary will benefit you most of the time, and I have managed to develop a rather helpful cadre of support, to include the Dean.
    LEONESA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 06:44 AM
    What is your current field of studies? Your bachelor is in what field?
    gradschoolguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LEONESA View Post
    what is your current field of studies? Your bachelor is in what field?
    I study conflict resolution. My Bachelor's was in Arabic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for Education in Ohio for Disabled Adults [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what grants and scholarships are available in Ohio, for a non-traditional disabled student.

Countries that do not allow Ex-convicts [ 4 Answers ]

What countries do not allow ex-convicts to enter through their customs despite having a valid USA passport? I have heard some countries like Cananda will not let you in their country despite being off parole or probation. Is there a website or listing of countries that will not allow me to travel...

Job hunting for Ex-Convicts [ 1 Answers ]

Do You know a good website where an ex-convict can look for a job?

Fair Housing in Arizona for ex-convicts? [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering what can be done to help those who have past criminal records to find housing without being discriminated against. Does Arizona have any laws that protect ex-convicts against discrimination for housing needs? What about the Privacy Act or Fair Housing Act?

View more questions Search