Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JillHynes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Floor Drain smells like sewer and little black flies
    Recently in the basement of our home I noticed a nasty smell coming from the floor train. To me it smells like sewer. I heard it is Methane gas in the pipes. It is so bad I had to seal it off until I find out what the smells is. When I sealed it off though I noticed the clear wrap that is sealing the drain off would move when ever the washer would empty, the shower was on or the toilet was flushed. I went to removed the clear wrap and all of a sudden these little nasty black flies were flying out and all over my basement.

What is the cause of the smell? How do I do to loose the smell and now even then flies? I hope there is no pipes broken under the house. All tips and comments are helpful.

Thank you
    JB
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 9, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Sounds like the fl.oor drain trap isn't doing its job. Remove the strainer and put a stick to the bottom. It should come back with at least two inches of water on it. You did fill the trap with water didn't you?
    When I sealed it off though I noticed the clear wrap that is sealing the drain off would move when ever the washer would empty, the shower was on or the toilet was flushed.
    This is backpressure caused by a partial blockage. Snake the drain line from the floor drain or any of the roof vents.
    The flies are drain/sewer/moth flies. Read on .MOTH OR DRAIN FLIES
    Moth or drain flies are small black flies which thrive in drain pipes and sewer lines. They need a lot of moisture to complete their life cycle. Drain flies do not fly well. They tend to drift and seem to float along more than fly. Their wings are shaped like a leaf of a plant and one can see hair like fibers on all parts of their body which is why they are also called moth flies. I have dealt with drain fly infestations in many homes which start in the sink or bathroom shower. The drain lines which have the most activity seem to be the ones most likely to have an infestation. I have also observed that homes with septic tanks seem most likely to get them. I am not sure if there is some kind of build up which occurs more with this type of drainage or if there is something in the tank which allows these flies to prosper. Although these homes seem more likely to get drain flies, once the cycle begins it takes place in the home. I have encountered several infestations where the larva were found crawling out of shower or bath tub drains. The homeowners thought they were some kind of leach. In fact, the larva of drain flies thrive in a slime buildup which is on virtually any drain pipe which is used a lot. This slime enables the eggs which are laid to be protected and sheltered. The eggs and hatching larva embed themselves in this slime so they don't wash away. The cycle of these flies takes around a month to complete. Don't waste your time with bleach or other cleaning solvents. Showers and tubs which have ceramic tiles may also supply a moist slimy environment in which they can live. Sump pumps and wet crawl spaces are other environments where I have seen them live. Drain flies can be harder to control than other small flies. Although there are several products to kill adults, the key is maintaining and minimizing their breeding areas. This could prove to be difficult and ongoing. Like most flies, there are several products available for their control. Use a "SPACE SPRAY" for immediate relief of the adults. There are several to choose from in the section below. This will quickly control the adults, but the secret to getting rid of them is to use a product we sell which removes the slime build up on drain pipes. By removing this slime, the larva cannot develop. This will stop the cycle. In the "SURFACE SPRAY" section below, look for the product called SURVIVORS. This is applied down drain pipes and will remove the nest sights these flies need. You may also use the product called PT-CYKICK which is located in the same section. It is ideal for treating in cracks and crevices where these flies like to lay eggs. Such cracks will develop around ceramic tile, windows and grout joints. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    stockboy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 09:02 AM

I have the same problem, did you find the source of the problem? Were you able to correct it?

[QUOTE=speedball1;1593415]Sounds like the fl.oor drain trap isn't doing its job. Remove the strainer and put a stick to the bottom. It should come back with at least two inches of water on it. You did fill the trap with water didn't you?
    This is backpressure caused by a partial blockage. Snake the drain line from the floor drain or any of the roof vents.

I have the same problem along with some sewer waste in the basement floor drain as well,

Could this be that the drain line (under the basement concrete floor) from the floor drain and bathroom rough-ins to the street (at least in the location of the floor drain) is not at proper flow slope and the waste is backfilling into my basement floor drain (as well as my basement rough-in bath toillet and shower location?

I have had a plumber power snake the area and found no blockage or burrs in line

I sure do not want this to be the reason, but I must solve this problem, before I finish the basement and complete the new basement 3 piece bath
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2010, 11:45 AM

Is it the floor drain or the drain flies that's your comcern? Please describe your problem in detail.
    could this be that the drain line (under the basement concrete floor) from the floor drain and bathroom rough-ins to the street (at least in the location of the floor drain) is not at proper flow slope and the waste is backfilling into my basement floor drain (as well as my basement rough-in bath toillet and shower location?
    Do you have a backup every time you flush or drain? Back to you, Tom

Jan 11, 2010, 07:00 AM

Hi Tom, ty for replying,

I do not or never had any back up in the basement, just this annoying smell and waste at the water level in the floor drain, and waste residue at the rough in for the basement toillet and shower.

I want to end this nightmare and finish the basement and this is preventing me from doing just that,

Could it be because I have a rough in basement bath only that this is happening?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2010, 07:42 AM

I do not or never had any back up in the basement, just this annoying smell and waste at the water level in the floor drain, and waste residue at the rough in for the basement toillet and shower.
    But thenn you told me that
    waste is backfilling into my basement floor drain (as well as my basement rough-in bath toillet and shower location?
    Sounds like a back up to me.
    Have you checked the level in the floor drain trap? Are you telling me the rough in pipes aren't capped off?
    If you still get waste in the floor drain and the rough stub ups then you plumber didn't reach the blockage.
    Call him back to complete the job. Good luck, Yom

Jan 11, 2010, 02:42 PM

Ty fr all your help so far,

The smell and wast is in the trap of the basement floor drain, (never did rise above there, we never had a problem of flooding into the basement, just at water level

When we snaked the line, we did it from the basement floor, the stack clean out, (which is about a foot or so above the floor and we also snaked from the rough locations

The roughins are capped, the hous is 20 years old, all abs drain stuff,

The snake went right to the fruit cellar at the front of the house and was totally clean and no obstruction passed or showed itself

I am so tired of this problem :o(
    Hotmommie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 03:01 PM
    Speedball you are awesome, if you were in IL I would hire you! I am going to try some of your suggestions for this in my home! If this doesn't work can I post a question to you? Thanks in advance! :)
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2010, 04:14 PM

Hey hotmommie!
    if you were in IL I would hire you!
    Actually My hometown is Rockford and I learned the trade at my fathers shop in Beloit. But that was a long time ago,
    If this doesn't work can I post a question to you?
    Of course you can. If I can't help you I have experts on board I consider much sharper then me.
    Cheers, Tom
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Apr 3, 2010, 04:36 AM

Venting may be an issue here as well. If your vents are not working properly your floor drain may get siphoned out. This would explain the smell and the flies having access to your basement but the waste water has to be a blockage or improper pitch on the pipes.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2010, 04:47 AM

To carry Chayns answer a little farther do you hear a gurgle from any of your traps when you flush or drain a fixture? Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

Drain/sewer flies [ 4 Answers ]

We cannot get rid of drain/sewer flies. They are apparently breading in the dirt under our slab floor. We treated our sinks and drains for 2 years to no avail. Our plumbers finally suspected a cracked pipe; there were several: the toilet pipe, the bathroom sink pipe, the kitchen sink pipe...

Tuscany and Black Flies [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, We took Tuscany our 9 month old mini doxie camping with us this weekend and he loved it. But, he ended up being bitten by black flies very badly on his tummy (like 7 or 8 different times). Is there anything that we can use as a preventative (like fly spray for horses)? Thanks so much

Sewer flies [ 6 Answers ]

I am having the sewer/drain fly problem in my house. The house is a ranch on a slab. I have two bathrooms, one with a shower and the other a tub. I had a local plumbing company come in to check this. They found a open drain in the shower and fixed it. (The shower drain pipe was simply...

Sewer smell and flies [ 4 Answers ]

We had a huge backup from our basement drain about a year ago (little children and too much paper in the toilet caused it I think). We cleaned up the concrete floor with cleaner and then with bleach and took out the carpet that got wet. All was fine for a while, then the smell started. We get a...

View more questions Search