Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Are some banks too big to fail?
    "John McCain and Richard Shelby, two high-profile Republican senators, said Sunday that the government should allow a number of the biggest U.S. banks to fail.

"'Close them down, get them out of business,' Shelby, the senior Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, said on the ABC television program "This Week With George Stephanopoulos." 'If they're dead, they ought to be buried.'

"While the Alabama senator did not say which banks should shut down, he suggested that Citigroup might be on that list, saying the bank has 'always been a problem child.'

McCain, appearing on "Fox News Sunday," echoed that sentiment without identifying banks. McCain, who lost the U.S. presidential election in November, accused the Treasury Department of avoiding the 'hard decision' to let 'these banks fail.'"
    Top Republicans say banks should be allowed to fail - International Herald Tribune
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Too bad Bush didn't feel the same way.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 9, 2009, 06:18 AM
    If the opening statement were indeed true, where does that leave Lehman Brothers?
    After all that was the largest corporate bankruptcy of all time at $600 BILLION!!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 06:49 AM

If they are too big to fail they are too big. Antitrust laws were designed in theory so that no business could be too big to fail.

I'm more concerned about nations failing... not businesses.

This idea that tax payers should keep zombies alive is a cruel joke. Perhaps if these businesses did not think we would pick up the pieces for them they would conduct business better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Fail Life [ 22 Answers ]

I just cannot deal with life anymore. Everything has gotton complicated and I just can't seem to do things properly and get things right for once in my life. Okay well I don't even know where to start.. . Lets see, okay well for starters I always seem to screw things up for example the only I guy I...

Fail to comply [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please explain what is fail to comply recognizance?

Fail code F 11 [ 1 Answers ]

Ive got a kenmore gas wall oven it has an f 11 that won't go away sears won't help without a work order and I don't feel like paying lots of money to find out I bought a piece of junk.

I no I'm going to fail I feel so dum [ 5 Answers ]

I'm sitting my moch gcsc's this month and I am so scared having to take in so much information for my 10 exams. Plus I'm predicted c's and d's but truth is teachers don't believe in me I can do so much better than that . I feel like a failure exams especially german welsh french and maths are...

Don [ 2 Answers ]

Was hoping someone would have replied, there are many helpful techs who post replies here, and I just want to make sure that my unit is OK and the compressor doesn't get damaged, I posted this: Last winter the heat wasn’t keeping up with the set temp, the outside fan came on, but the compressor...

View more questions Search