Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    engine987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 04:03 AM
    Transfer US Pension to a UK Pension Plan
    I'm a US citizen permanently livng in the UK. I currently have a US pension that I would like to transfer to a UK pension plan. Will the IRS allow me to do that? From what I have read, tax-free transfers are allowed from one qualified plan to another qualified plan, or to an IRA. And according to the IRS, a qualified plan is "one that meets the requirements of the Internal Revenue Code".

Do UK pension plans meet te requirements of the IRS code?
    gumptaff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 04:56 AM
    Hi - did you get an answer to this somewhere else? I lived in the States fro 17 years and built up a reasonable IRA. I want to move it to a UK pension plan and obviously not pay the 10% penalty for early withdrawal (I'm 56 now).
    engine987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 05:27 AM
    No, unfortunately, I never did get an answer. I think whatever you or I do, we would have to pay the 10% penalty. I'm not sure what the rules are for the US but if you cash in your IRA, you may be able to move it to the UK.
    My suggestion would be to find an advisor who can steer you in the right direction - although they cost money!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on Irish Pension Plan [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, As an Irish government employee stationed in USA, I paid taxes in Ireland and all pension contributions, from myself and my employer, into my Irish pension, were also tax-free here in USA. Now that I plan to retire here in USA, how will I explain to the IRS that my pension is exempt? ...

401 or state pension 25 year pension [ 1 Answers ]

I always wonder if I had a 401k insteed of a state pension. The period is from: 1969-1994. I received $1,000 a month for life. Have already received $192,600 But what about other scenario. 401K investment plan during the same period. Would it be better, the same, or worst?? ...

Canadian Pension Plan [ 1 Answers ]

Who funds the Canadian Pension Plan? I mean, let's say I am a member of Parliament. Obviously the effect of inflation on the cost of plan would play a role. Would I want to use: GDP deflator to measure inflation (understates inflation) CPI (overstates inflation) Average of both (a bit more...

View more questions Search