Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris_in_orbit Posts: 21, Reputation: 8

Mar 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
    Compromising with my roommate
    Ok, the problem I'm having is coming to a compromise where me and my roommate can both be happy. He likes to play games a lot, and likes to stay up all night with the games.
    I go to bed around 11 usually but I try to go to bed at 10. Sometimes its hard with all his extra noise. I don't want him to stop playing the games, I just want them to be quieter... he plays shooters and hack n slashers all the time so I almost feel like the sound is unnecessary but he disagrees.

He said he would just not play the games when I would try to go to sleep but also said he would be resentful if he had to. I don't know what to do! I want us to both be happy. Please help!
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Mar 9, 2009, 09:22 AM
    How about head phones? Is this the type of set up where he could use them?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 09:25 AM
    He could turn the volume down some, but not all the way. You could get a white noise machine for your room to drown out his noise.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 10:23 AM

I think you're being reasonable by only asking him to be quieter. I agree with JJ, maybe he can just turn the volume down some. Is the TV sharing a wall with your room, if so maybe move it to a different wall.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 12:28 PM

I agree with everybody have the game moved to a room farthest away from your room, If the system is compatible to head phones have him use them if he can't turn it down low enough for you.
    Put a white noise machine in your room as long as you don't want any noises at all and don't need an alarm to wake you up because it can even prevent hearing a alarm from what I understand.
    tammerzrocks777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2009, 12:15 PM

It sounds like he's trying to give you a guilt trip... just tell him that he could use the head phones if the game allows it... or maybe you could get ear plugs
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 12:24 PM

If he won't wear headphones start getting up early (5 or 6ish?) turning on all the lights and do aerobics, whilst singing and shouting.
    EDIT Say it is an important part of your new fitness regime, you could stop but you would resent him for it.

Maybe when he knows what it is like to be deprived of sleep he will understand where you are coming from.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Evict Roommate that broke Roommate Agreement Lease? [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a month to month lease with my landlord for 6 years now, he says technically no lease though? I have a roommate that moved in 5 months ago that is being uncooperative and broke written rules in "our" roommate agreement contract. I am trying to get her to move out but she will not, talked...

Roommate Problems: How to Deal with crazy Roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a roommate who is 52 years old (Japanese/American bon in US). He was pretty good roommate from Aug 2001, just because he never lived in apt until end of July, I think. He was living with his girlfriend whole time but he came back once a while but he never stayed no longer than 1 week....

Severe mold in rental severely compromising family's health [ 1 Answers ]

I implore you to help me... My son, wife and granddaughter are in living in a rental residence that is "in process" of being repaired, torn apart and removing extreme mold situation. The owner hasn't the money to remove properly nor the money to place them in a motel while all this mold is in the...

View more questions Search