Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Exposure to bleach- is it bad?
    My husband and I had a flood damage a bit ago. To prevent mold and to clean the basement he power washed it with water and bleach. The smell is quite strong and has us both dizzy, nauseated and our hearts pounding. I know it's a given to open up the windows and go out and get fresh air. My question is:

Is short-term exposure to bleach damaging? I tried googling it and got a few tidbits of information.

MRS&MR.S
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 09:46 PM

I used bleach to clean one time. My eyes were burning so bad I was crying and my nose started to run, a bit of blood and coughing.

Apparently though from what my wife was told through the grape vines of a pharmacist is that short term exposure to bleach is not damaging.

Of course never use it when the kids are around.

Joe
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:01 PM

Chlorine is a poison. If your symptoms persist, please see your doctor. Your health can be at risk big time.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:06 PM

Oh twinks thanks for answering but this is my very first thread [march 8th]-- no symptoms anymore ;)

Thanks though ;)

Sarah
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:09 PM

I guess no one wants to take the word from a pharmacist, eh?
    5Captain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2013, 07:45 PM
    If you're in a confined area with the bleach fumes and it is not diluted enough with water the fumes can cause serious irritation of the throat and lungs and sinuses. It can also cause dizziness and heart palpitations.

If you get a bleach mixture on your skin it is a strong base... opposite of an acid, but it can cause a chemical burn of the skin. The slippery feeling you get on skin exposed to bleach? That is the bleach essentially dissolving the fat in your skin.

Just because any chemical is available at the supermarket or the drug store doesn't mean it is benign. Pesicides, insect repellents, cleaning solvents, etc. all can pose serious risks so pay attention, don't over mix and read the labels.

DO NOT EVER mix bleach and ammonia!! You will create ammonia chloride gas which can kill you and it is highly highly irritating and toxic at the least!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestose exposure [ 2 Answers ]

I redid my basement,and tore down some asbestose board,the type used on the return vents for the heater. I think it is called asbestose insulation board. It appeared thin white and hard and was in good shape. I replaced it with 6 inch metat ducts ,Now I know but at the time I did not wet down the...

Should I bleach my hair or Do a full heavy all over bleach highlights? [ 2 Answers ]

Info on myself. Blue eyes, fair skin, pink undertones, natural hair color is dark blond. Last month I had my hair dyed a dark blonde. BTW, this was done professionally. The top area came out with dark blonde, gold/ red tones, and does not match my skin tone. I would like to be more in the neutral...

Indecent exposure [ 6 Answers ]

What kind of punishment do you get for exposing your bum in public? In quebec canada, and over 18 years old.

Meds and sun exposure [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking toprol and sertraline... I am getting hives after lying in the sun for a short while. Is the hives because of the sun exposure

Hepititus exposure [ 7 Answers ]

My partner has hepititus C,can I be exposed to this virius, if so what can I do to prevent this? Many thanks Carol

View more questions Search