Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mintah50 Posts: 46, Reputation: 9

Mar 8, 2009, 01:47 PM
    What should she do?
    A close friend told me that she been having feelings for a women . And her radar for women been going off and on. She asked me if that means she is Bisexual , but I am also confused because it hard for her to admit that these feelings are really true. What is your opinion on this?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 01:53 PM

Women tend to have more flexible sexuality than most men. Tell her to follow her heart life is too short for what ifs. Maybe she is bisexual or gay or maybe she is straight. It doesn't really matter as long as she feels true to herself.

These are all labels. People don't fit into neat little boxes.

Gosh I've come over as a right hippy all of a sudden!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane View Post
    Women tend to have more flexible sexuality than most men. Tell her to follow her heart life is too short for what ifs. Maybe she is bisexual or gay or maybe she is straight. It doesn't really matter as long as she feels true to herself.

These are all labels. People don't fit into neat little boxes.

Gosh I've come over as a right hippy all of a sudden!

What does "women tend to have more flexible sexuality than most men" mean?

Men are also gay, bisexual, straight.

I don't think this is a female thing.

What do you mean?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

What do you mean?

Have a read of these articles they are both summing up the same study.
    Study Suggests Difference Between Female And Male Sexuality
    This one is a bit more rambly about other subjects though.
    What turns women on - Times Online

Here is a summary of another study into female sexual fluidity.
    Female Sexuality is Relatively Fluid | Current Health Articles 2009

I haven't posted the actual studies the articles talk of in case you can't get access to them (I'll save to open access debate for another day, another thread).

I am not denying that there are gay, striaght and bi men but that randomly (genuinely) changing between these groups is less common than with females.

Oh dear I've opened a can of worms here! I would like to discuss this further but I may have to go soon, so if I don't reply to further questions straight away its not because I'm running away- I'll be back.
    mintah50 Posts: 46, Reputation: 9

Mar 8, 2009, 03:29 PM

But another thing I forgot to say , she really religious and is scared that she is disobeying her religion by having feelings for women
    MsEmily Posts: 36, Reputation: 6

Mar 8, 2009, 06:03 PM

It is not unusual for someone to have a sexual or emotional interest in someone of the same sex. It does not necessarily mean they are gay or bi. That's really something she will determine for herself over time.

Religious beliefs can often conflict with one's sexual interests. She may wish to visit the Religious Institite website for support and information about how to integrate her religious beliefs with her sexual self. Religious Institute
    shyfoxie Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Mar 9, 2009, 11:56 AM

What do you mean?
    What it means is that a straight woman can still be attracted sexually to other woman, but not nearly as much as to men. There are more straight women who'd be interested in girl-on-girl than straight guys that'd like to fool around with their buds. The straight/bi/gay continum is a little more blurry with females.

The post didn't mean guys don't have different orientations.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfoxie View Post
    What it means is that a straight woman can still be attracted sexually to other woman, but not nearly as much as to men. There are more straight women who'd be interested in girl-on-girl than straight guys that'd like to fool around with their buds. The straight/bi/gay continum is a little more blurry with females.

The post didn't mean guys don't have different orientations.

I am not sure that if a woman says she's interested in other women men don't think "Oh, boy." If a man says he's interested in other men, the gay alarm goes off.

Ever notice that the average man interested in a 3-way is interested in two women and him? Suggest a man as the third party and his interest sort of "slips" away.

I think it's a matter of social acceptance and hiding who/what people are and I believe it varies according to the gender.
    shyfoxie Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Mar 9, 2009, 12:13 PM
    I am not sure that if a woman says she's interested in other women men don't think "Oh, boy." If a man says he's interested in other men, the gay alarm goes off.

Ever notice that the average man interested in a 3-way is interested in two women and him? Suggest a man as the third party and his interest sort of "slips" away.

I think it's a matter of social acceptance and hiding who/what people are and I believe it varies according to the gender.
    I didn't say no men were bi-curious (as opposed to bi) straight or gay, but if you look at the internet and the literature, there's much more evidence of women being blurrier than guys.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfoxie View Post
    I didn't say no men were bi-curious (as opposed to bi) straight or gay, but if you look at the internet and the literature, there's much more evidence of women being blurrier than guys.

I didn't say men aren't bi-curious, either. My concern with some of the studies is who is funding them.

Otherwise - you may very well be right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search