Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    not2happy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 10:46 AM
    4 implanrs - bar vs. individual posts for lower denture
    I have 4 implants on the lower and wish to know which is better - using a bar or using
    Individual posts?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 04:15 PM

My feeling is that the bite will be better distributed on the bar but I've seen clients with both. It depends on how much metal you want in your mouth when the denture is out for the night.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 05:21 PM

I've seen both types of cases but there's a move towards individual posts to avoid having a lot of metal in your mouth. The only thing I can say I've seen is that sometimes the denture will have to be a little thinner around the bar because of the amount of metal. Usually the bar runs from canine-to-canince and you'd have the metal bar in that space after the denture is removed. I haven't heard anyone say one type necessarily works better than the other. Overall to the public, they will look the same.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Mar 8, 2009, 05:40 PM

Depends on if you want it to be fixed or removable. With a bar you can get an acrylic denture that will be repairable and easy to clean. If you want something that always stays in, you can get a screw retained fixed implant supported denture. Its harder to clean and if they make it from porcelain it will be VERY expensive to repair in the event of a porcelain fracture
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir1981 View Post
    ...acrylic denture that will be repairable ...if they make it from porcelain it will be VERY expensive to repair in the event of a porcelain fracture
    As for repairs, the process is about the same since only the teeth are porcelain. Replacing a tooth is simple and can be done same day; if the dentist has an on-site lab (some do).

Porcelain teeth are a little more expensive but not too many people choose them because they are significantly heavier. Most dentists don't offer them; you'd have to ask for porcelain teeth.

Both types can be removable whether with implants or the hader bar.

Mar 8, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    My feeling is that the bite will be better distributed on the bar but I've seen clients with both. It depends on how much metal you want in your mouth when the denture is out for the night.
    Had a bar over 4 implants for 10 years and very happy. Time for new and individual posts were shown to me. After much discussion decided to try the lower denture over 4 individual posts. Two years in and I am questioning my decision and wondering if I should return to the bar. Feel the distribution is such that I feel more pressure on one post. As to the metal on the bar - no problem. As to the metal lining the lower anterior portion of the denture, would the tongue not adjust to this shortened distance?

So far I have gotten only one that says the individual posts are the best. All others go with the bar because of the distribution.

My biggest fear is having losing an implant and want to try for a better education decision, and I thank you for your reply.

Mar 8, 2009, 10:02 PM

Go with what works for yah!

Mar 8, 2009, 10:03 PM
    The bar is always a good simple choice, pretty maintenance free and easy to keep clean.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 03:55 AM

I question why you had to have it redone in the first place?

Mar 9, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    I question why you had to have it redone in the first place?
    The denture had no metal lining and broke two different times, the last time one of the teeth broke. The upper needed relining. The Dentist that did the work did an excellent job the first time - so good that I never needed even the first adjustment. After the breaks it had been about ten years and the upper needed relining. He personally did not believe in relining and was going to make a whole new set. I was moving in the process of moving out of town so I went to a local local Dentist - recommended by a lab tech - and this one suggested I might want to consider individual posts as it would give me a closer to normal bite. I agreed and that is how I got to where I am now.

Mar 9, 2009, 07:47 PM

That's rough... I always tend to keep it simple, it usually works the best... but then again, I am on salary with the military so...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Denture adjustment [ 5 Answers ]

Having difficulty adjusting to new dentures. First, I am having an extreme gag reflex, and now I am having pain radiating from my ja w to my ear whenever they are in. what can I do to help adjust to my new dentures?

Adjustment to denture for cheek biting [ 1 Answers ]

When adjusting a u/l denture for cheek biting, do u adjust lower buccel

Denture treatment [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently paid £194 to have a new set of dentures made - I have been back many times over the last 3 months and they still do not fit - can I get a refund from my dentist!!

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Denture Problems (Bottom Plate)... [ 3 Answers ]

I have not been able to wear my bottom plate since I came home from the dentist 5 years ago. I have no problems with my top plate except for the fact that I have to use an adhesive every morning. I have tried using it with the bottom plate also but nothing works, I just can not get it to stay put!!...

View more questions Search