Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aisha_18 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Amino Acid -Glycine
    Why is the amino acid glycine non polar?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 12:59 PM

I'm guessing a bit here.

I believe they're talking about the side chains of the amino acids when they rate them as polar or non-polar. Since glycine has no side chains:

NH2 - CH2 - COOH

It is classified as non-polar.

I think there is actually some polarity but the electronegativity of the nitrogen counteracts some of the electronegativity of the oxygens and you're left with a "fairly non-polar" molecule (how's that for dodging the question?).

This probably isn't the answer you hoped for. Maybe some other genius can shed more light on this.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 01:22 PM

Perito your right.

Glycine isn't non polar when considred as a single molecule, however it is callsed as a non polar amino acid when considering it's inclusion in a polypeptide or protein structure. This is indeed because of it's lack of side chain.

See this venn diagram for the amino acids classifications according to side chains:

http://apodtele.googlepages.com/aa_venn_diagram.jpg

This is very useful information when trying to understand protein structure and function.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Amazed With Results! Glycolic Acid and Kojic Acid [ 22 Answers ]

Hello, I have wriiten some posts before on this subject. I got three emails from people I supplied my information with. There are two products you need to get for hand and face. One is glycolic acid cream (10%) also kojic acid. The Kojic acid can be founf in Palmers Skin Success Section. It will...

Amino Acids. [ 1 Answers ]

Which food are high in amino acids?

NO2 and amino acids [ 1 Answers ]

The names lenny been taking no2 for a while now but just can seem to get the answer I want. When taking no2 should I be taking amino acid 1000 s too. If anyone can help me out here id really appriciate it. Thanks

Bond Angles of glycine [ 6 Answers ]

Im really stuck on finding out the bond angles between the atoms of glyine. I really don't know anything so any help would be appreciated! Thanks

View more questions Search