Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teresa Roper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Wiring an old rotary phone
    I have old phones. I want to rewire them so I can plug them into my current jacks. Anyone know how and where I attaché the 4 wires that are in the new line?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Do you have red/green/yellow/black terminals inside the phone? If so, they wire out the same as any phone. It is possible that the phones won't work. Your phones lines amy not pick up the tones set by the dial.
    Teresa Roper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 10:26 AM

My phone has no wires coming out of the phone. It is an old Bell Canada phone from the early 50's. Inside I have a "red" mark with a red wie that runs to the handset, a yellow mark with a yellow wire that runs to the "hang up" buttons,

There is a square box that has 7 screw o it, all have wires that run inside the phone to other places.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 02:30 PM

This will take some work on your part. Of those 7 screw terminals the original phne would have had two connected to the phobe line in the wall. Back in the 1950s' this would have been a cloth-covered pair or wires that was hard-wired to a terminal block that would have been mounted by the phone company inside your house. Modern phone wiring is modular with standard color codes and plstic moduar plugs and jacks. So the trick is to custom wire modern color-code wire to this old phone.

I suggest you start with the following web site - and let us know if there is anything here that helps:

Western Electric Products - Telephones - Model 500
    Gregory54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 07:04 AM
    ebaines,
    The link was a perfect solution to hooking up my old phone. Thanks
    Greg

Western Electric Products - Telephones - Model 500[/QUOTE]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotary switch wiring diagram [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old rotary switch, unfortunately without a wiring diagram. It has four settings (off, low, med, hi), and four wiring poles. Contacts rotate at two levels and connect the poles as shown in the attached JPG. My question is how to wire this thing (I assume there are three incoming...

Can DSL operate on a line with a Rotary Phone [ 5 Answers ]

In my newly purchased home, there is a functioning Rotary wall phone. When my DSL service was transferred to the new location, the DSL line does not work. The phone company said that the DSL service would not operate with a "powered phone". When I disconnect the Rotary phone, I lose dial tone at...

Wiring a 3 speed fan switch (mechanical rotary type) [ 1 Answers ]

My Hampton Bay pedestal fan has a 3 speed rotary switch that broke apart. I was able to reconstruct it but I'm not sure of the wiring. It's terminals are labeled with L, 1, 2, 3 and I have black, white, brown and red wires coming from the fan motor. I'm pretty sure "L" is the black wire but...

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

Phone Wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm new to this board and hopefully will find it helpful. I'm having a problem with the phones in my house. We have perfectly working phone jacks upstairs, but downstairs I'm having a problem. We had no problems at all until about a month ago. My phone is totally dead. However,...

View more questions Search