Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nirvjovi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 08:06 AM
    Floors covered in insurance?
    Hello,
    We have noticed that parts of our upstairs flooring has been becoming springy! On closer inspection it appears we have chip board flooring laid upstairs and this has started collapsing at the joints, it has all been laid poorly and does not appear to be water treated. To add to that it appears the previous owner was aware and we have found huge areas he has covered up with a thin piece of chipboard over a large crack! We now have had to move our 3 year old out of his room as we have to replace the whole floor, we have been told that there is a possability our joist has twisted and our kitchen ceiling has cracked under the strain!
    Does anyone know if we can claim for this on our house insurance? Or is there a possibility of bringing it up with the sellers solicitors or the chaps that did our homebuyer survey?
    Thank you!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvjovi View Post
    Does anyone know if we can claim for this on our house insurance? Or is there a possiblity of bringing it up with the sellers solicitors or the chaps that did our homebuyer survey??
    Hello n:

Ultimately, the cause of the problem will have to be determined to see who dropped the ball, if anyone did. Your insurance company might be a good place to start. If they don't fix it, they'll tell you why, and then you'll know where to turn next.

And, if they don't, you'll probably need your own solicitor for the next step.

excon
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 09:04 AM
    Unfortunately this is not something that your homeowner's insurance will cover. The reason is that homeowner's insurance is meant to cover sudden occurrences and here it just sounds like shotty workmanship. Since the floor was laid before you purchased the home, then as the new owner you're responsible for fixing it. If you were the purchaser of the flooring, you could go back to the vendor and have them make the necessary repairs. This is not the type of thing that home inspectors are looking for since they'd have to tear the floor up to have seen that repairs were done improperly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2009, 10:29 AM

Depending on how long ago you purchased the house, you may have a cause of action against the seller and/or the home inspector. But insurance will not cover this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbors leak had ruined my floors but I don't have insurance [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I live on the 2nd floor and my neighbor from 5th floor had his sink pipe burst and flooded all 4 appartements bellow. Since I am in the lowest appartement and have wood floors, it affected me the most. All the floor is damaged. I do not have insurance and neither has she. The leak was big and...

Someone hit my parked car but I got no license or covered by my insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this site. Last week my dads car was hit at my job . This girl backed up into my dads parked car . I borrowed it to go to work . I have no license or covered by insurance , but my dad has full coverage . People tell me it was parked so it doesn't matter if I got no insurance or...

S it against the law to be double covered for medical insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Is it against the law to be double covered for medical insurance

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

What is it, and why is it covered? [ 28 Answers ]

For the past couple of years now of walking my dog around the neighborhood, I can't help but wonder what is this upside down U-shaped tube thing in everybody's yard. It is wrapped sometimes with what looks like a black garbage bag and some are wrapped with a thick tape. What is this thing?...

View more questions Search