Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liz445 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Owner's equity
    I have to do t-accounts, trial balance,income statement, owner's equity and a balance sheet on an example the teacher gave us. I completed the t-accounts and the trial balance. They are correct, but, I am stubled on the income statement and the owner's equity. I don't know how to figure if it was a loss or a profit that was gained. I don't know how to figure out the owner's equity
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz445
    I don't know how to figure if it was a loss or a profit that was gained. I dont know how to figure out the owner's equity
    How to figure out if it was a loss or profit:

Example:
    Sales Revenue 100,000
    Less: Sales Returns 700
    Less: Sales Discount 300

Net Revenue = 99,000

Cost of Goods Sold 30,000

Gross Profit 69,000

Less: Expenses (such as Advertising, Utilities, etc.) Let’s sat the total is 10,000

Net Income 59,000

How to figure out owner’s equity??
    Your OE should have a credit balance (let’s say it is $50,000)

OE, beginning 50,000
    Add: Net Income of 59,000 (or subtract a net loss)
    Less: Any Drawings taken out by the owner during the year.
    Add: Any addition capital that might have been invested during the year

OE, closing is the sum of all those parts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Assets, Liabilities and equity [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know if this is correct, if its not an explanation would be great :) I'm not an accounting student, just taking it for GE and I'm just confused.. Indicate where each tansaction causes an increase (+), decrease (-) or no change (NC) in assets, liabilities and equity (type of...

Home Owner's Insurance and New Roof [ 9 Answers ]

I need a new roof on my home. Can I use my homeowners insurance for a new roof? And, if so, with insurance companies the way they are these days, would their be a chance that they would drop me if I do this? Thanks

Owner's Equity [ 2 Answers ]

Im having a problem. I have an account set up as contributions, drawings, and personal use of home accounts. I have a retained earnings and current earnings and total equity account. My question.I made some errors and have corrected them. I put entries in the retained earnings that shouldn't have...

View more questions Search