Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgillumc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 03:57 AM
    Authorized user
    I was made a authorized user by my daughter not even knowing about it.Then started getting phone calls from collection agency that I was responsible for the debt that has went unpaid. I explained I was only a authorized user not a co-signer and at the time the credit card was issued to my daughter I was not employed.Now I have got a certified letter that I have to go to court over this what should I do.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Hello jc:

Go to court. Tell the judge what you told us. Done deal.

excon
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Unless, your daughter forged your signature and you are a co-signer, etc.

If that is the case, you will have to file a police report against her.

So talk with your daughter and see what she did.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 06:33 PM
    Inform the credit card company that you wish to be removed as an authorized user and that you never authorized your daughter to place your name on the account in the first place. Send them a signed written statement to this effect. A notarized affidavit may be required. Since you did not know that you were an authorized user I presume that you personally never made any purchases with the card in question. That being the case you should not have to be held responsible for any unsatisfied balances.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 29, 2006, 07:12 PM
    If you have a letter to go to court, show up and explain it.

You need to notify the credit card company in writing, that you are not a co signer on the loan and deny oweing them anything, and demand that they prove you signed for the card.

They are coming after you, since they are guessing you have more money than your daughter. Next you need to talk to your daughter about why she is not paying her debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Authorized User of Credit Card Account of Deceased - what now? [ 3 Answers ]

Unusual situation perhaps... I am the authorized user on a number of US credit card accounts on which my father was primary cardholder. My father recently passed away overseas (as a dual citizen of US and the country in which he died) and his estate is being handled by the court of the European...

User name and password [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, When ever I used to join this forum, I would automatically join without having to type password or user name, I do this each time now and I don't know why it is as if I am not really a member now. Can you please clarify this problem for me Thanx:confused:

How to get the Location of a user [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how can I retrieve the location of every user when they visit my website. Are there any built in ASP functions for it.

Authorized occupant [ 2 Answers ]

My mother in law has a live in friend who does not have a rental agreement or any thing close she is term ill now, she wants him out of the house what are his rights we live in va

Remove myself from "Authorized user" [ 2 Answers ]

I was the "authorized user" on a BankOne credit card. It has been closed and I've been paying on it for 3 years. I understand an authorized user is not responsible for the payment or liable for the balance? How can I get off this card entirely? The Primary accountholder will not do it.

View more questions Search