Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CodeChaser Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 01:22 PM
    6' duct for basement
    Can I use 6" duct for venting out a basement? I will have four runs coming off the main duct, two in the 12 x 22 bedroom, two for the pool table open area - roughly 20 x 40 - with two vents per duct run, and then one more for the work out room 16 x 20.

Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 02:22 PM
    You can use any size duct you want but you should really calculate how much air volume you need then pick the closest size duct to install.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 02:49 PM

A six inch duct will supply about 85 CFM where a 7 inch duct will supply 125 CFM and 8 inch will supply 180 CFM . Now it depends on have much CFM do you have from the supply, so instead of square footage we need to know the amount of air you will have and the size of duct you will be using and if it is flex duct or metal, flex duct looses some CFM compared to metal duct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the purpose of a duct leading from the outside into the basement? [ 2 Answers ]

In the basement of a condominium, there is a duct that leads from the outside into the basement. Looking from the basement, this duct is connected to nothing. What is the purpose of this duct?

New duct in basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I have a framed in bathroom in my basement that I need to add a heat duct in. The bathroom is directly beside the furnace. The rectangular vent heating the north side of the home runs through the top of the new bathroom. Can I tap directly into this in order to add heat to this new bathroom? ...

Basement ceiling exposed duct, pipes and wires [ 1 Answers ]

My basement ceiling to floor measue 72" from floor to drywalled ceiling. My problem the prior owners attached ductwork and wires over the drywall. A suspended ceiling will not work takes up too much height. Walls and floor concrete. Any suggestions would be helpful. If I could see some...

Metal Basement Duct work change out for PVC [ 5 Answers ]

I have a rectuangular suppluy and return system that feed from from furnace at one end of my basement. It has two main leads out. They branch off and finally reduct to a single duct at the far end of my house. I'm looking to put in a drop celling and would love to swap out my existing duct work...

Shifting Duct in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to the world of home ownership and have a question about shifting the main duct line in our basement. Currently the duct line runs down the center of the basement ceiling and we'd like to move it over 24" to achieve more head room. Unfortunately (for me) this requires a new piece of 59"...

View more questions Search