Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luv_My_Reece Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 07:44 PM
    College
    With colleges that require you to live on campus the first year or two, will any allow you to bring your baby with you? I know Longwood allows it in certain cases but I was wondering if anyone knew of others that did. If not does anyone know if those colleges will let you live off campus instead?
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 25, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Every university and college I know in the United States (that are not supported by a coreligionist organization ) have off campus homes that can support families, parents who are attending school and these universities can find you residence that support your situation... Indiana University(ies) have daycare services on campus and so does Urbana and other state universerties in Illinois... most conservative coreligionist organizations... do not support women in special situations... such as unwed mothers... go the web and do more research... the idea of supporting unwed mothers is not so unique as you may think...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2006, 08:33 PM
    There's no place for a baby in the typical college dorm.

Look for colleges that have the programs you are interested in, then talk to admissions about getting a waiver. No school would want a little one crawling around the dorm floors. They may, as mentioned, have other housing options for you.

Don't be discouraged at all. They want your money, you want their services. You should be able to find some reasonable options. Again, start with admissions to get the right connections... they might have the answer, they might have you talk to student life services. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Worst case scenario, and one that isn't so bad, I knew one person who went to community college to get the prereqs down the 1st two years, then transferred into the university to finish. Saved a ton of money and it did not hurt his getting into a solid med school. The only issue with transferring is its nice to spend more time in the program at one school if you can, so you get to know the profs better and the program better... but it can still work out w transfers. I did it.

Good luck.

One more thing. Don't get frustrated. My wife had a little one when she was in college. It might require more work and more scheduling, but it most certainly can be done!
    Luv_My_Reece Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Thanks for responding quickly, you were both a lot of help.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Personally I have a family and I am attending a community college right now. Community colleges do not have dorms, but rather you live at home.

Then I will me transferring to a University, much like KP said.

Universities do not require you to live in a dorm, that is strictly an option.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2006, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9

Universities do not require you to live in a dorm, that is strictly an option.

Actually some "require" you to do so if you are a freshman coming right out of HS.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Ah, I did not know that!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

How to well in college being a new student [ 4 Answers ]

I am a new student at a junior college taking 4 classes. How do you study for them? Do I just study each class a little a day, or what? I am confused with How I will get all A's. It's a little overwhelming. Thanks

Electoral College. [ 1 Answers ]

A state having two Senators and one Represenative in congresss has how many Presidential electors in the Electoral College?

College Search [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I'm dure not many people would know this, but if anyone knows a college that's teaches car designing pleeeaaasseee let me know.. I know of 2 right now... Savannah college of art and design in Georgia.. And some college in calafornia... Car designing "I Think" is also know as...

View more questions Search