Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abhi1277 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Lifetime learning credit
    I have the following questions about LLC if anyone could please answer:

1. My wife was on h4 visa in 2008 and she did certain credits to obtain her professional licensure and we paid 5000 dollars in tuition but all courses were online. We have got the 1098T from the univ. Can we claim the LLC for online courses?

2. If claiming the LLC, does one have to itemize necessarily or we can go for standard deduction ( we are planning to go for standard deduction).

Thanks
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 7, 2009, 02:08 PM

Yes, as long as she is considered a resident alien you may take the credit.

Whether you take the standard or itemized deduction makes no difference; credits are subtracted from TAX not income.

See: Hope & Life Time Learning Educational Credits

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lifetime Learning Credit [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there... I'm new, so please go easy on me if I should have posted this as a follow-on to another message (looks like this topic hasn't come up in about a year). Last year, there was a discussion on here of the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) and its application in the year the student graduates...

Hope/Lifetime learning credit [ 1 Answers ]

I am in US since Aug 2002 on F1 (student) status and have filed the tax returns as nonresident alien from 2002 to 2006 tax years. Accordingly, I could not claim educational expenses. I graduated in May 2007 and was registered as a part-time student from Jan-2007 to May-2007. For the tax year...

1040 instead of NR, and Hope/Lifetime credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been in the US since August 2002 studying, and graduated may 2006 (F1) During this period I filed 1040NR but never used the Hope or Lifetime credit. Could I have applied it? From August 2006 - July 2007 I worked on the OPT, and filed 1040NR in 2006. I also started to apply credit...

Hope/LifeTime Earning Credit [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1, wife on H4. We got married late 2006, and for the yr 2006 we filed jointly with she electing to be a resident. Since Fall 2007, my wife is pursuing her masters and I paid two semesters worth of tution in 2007. (~$7500). I know there are 2 credits, Hope Credit and Life Time Earning...

Lifetime Learning Credit [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1-B Visa status and my spouse on H4 Visa status we had filed for 2006 as married filing jointly, now my spouse is on F1 -visa as a student. Can we continue to file as married filing jointly and claim my spouse as resident alien or my spouse has to file separately. Also can we claim for...

View more questions Search