Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    changels03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 01:18 AM
    Can previous employer give you bad references ?
    Its been a month since I quit my job because I had a special issue with the company
    When they where talking to me they told me that they are going to put me on suspension
    And it raised a red flag on me that it would end in termination as the days go by

So I told them that I'm giving them a verbal notice of resignation and then other representative of the company accepted that resignation but before we finished talking my store manager ask me why I want to quit on the spot and she asked is it because for the reason for looking for another job?

I'm really anxious if she can say something negative to me to my prospective employer about this issue?
    Wuerschti Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 04:33 PM
    She can say whatever she likes...
    If she causes irreparable damages(by lying) to your image and you incurr losses, then go see an attorney. Hard to prove and ehm not worth your time...
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 06:05 PM

There must be a reason they put you on suspension... if you choose to give them as a reference to your next job application they are allowed to tell the truth (what you did to get a suspension)
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2009, 08:05 AM
    It is always a prerogative of your previous employer to answer inquiries about your employment with them. So just pray that they will just say the truth and fair to all.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 07:30 PM
    Your next employer has a right to know your previous work history.

If, for whatever reason, you were not a good employee then your last employer has a right to tell your next employer.

As has been previously stated, she can say what she wants, as long as it's true.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2009, 07:46 PM

They may tell that you quit without notice

They can report anything true about your work history

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can a previous employer say about you? [ 11 Answers ]

I left my job of almost 2 years just recently. I am now seeking employment elsewhere and wanted to know if my previous employer can give me a "bad" reference. I didn't really leave on the best terms (did not give two weeks notice, but DID finish my shift that day, and informed them that I would not...

Can previous employer give a bad reference? [ 2 Answers ]

I was terminated from my employer, because I married a contractor that worked for them. Then I was not honest about it, because I really didn't feel it was any of their business, and there is a code of conduct about having any type of relationship with a contractor. I would like to put them on my...

W2 from a previous Employer [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get my W2 from a previous employer? Is there any way to do this online?

Previous employer says I owe for damages. [ 5 Answers ]

I was working at a restaurant for only a few weeks until the executive chef and I began to disagree on many things. She refused to put me back on the schedule. She first claimed that I left some food uncovered, and then, a full week later, claimed that I damaged the grill. She did not inform me...

1099 from previous employer [ 3 Answers ]

I started working for the new employer in 3rd week of November 2007. And my H1-B transfer is still in process - i.e.. Status pending. My previous employer did not pay me for the last 2 weeks, until Jan 2008. He sent me check for $2000 (from company's name). He says that he will issue me a 1099. So...

View more questions Search