Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fibi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Pomeranian/Poodle puppy shedding
    I have a four month old pomeranian/poodle mix. I was told she would be a low shedding dog. However, at just 4 months she has little pieces of hair that come out on everything she touches. I comb her every day and it doesn't seem to help. Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of hair that this pup is leaving everywhere!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 02:23 PM

Hi fibi, actually pomeranians are one the major shedders of the toy breed ! I guess they thought the poodle cross would reduce or eliminate that feature. I guess you are destined to brush brush brush. I am sorry but there is nothing you can give them, or do, necessarily to reduce this feature. But your little one must be a darling to see ! What a lovely dog you must have. Just love her and brush her, comb her, put bows in her hair. They love being dressed up and praised !

Tick
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 6, 2009, 04:07 PM

There are also some shampoos that you could use to help reduce shedding, but you will never eliminate it fully. Like tick said, poms are big shedders, and you can never guarantee any certain trait with mix breed dogs, no matter how "designer" some may think they are.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 01:52 AM

Why not give the Furminator a try? It's a deshedding tool. I've never bought one for myself (ahem, or for my dog), but I have seen it in action in a whole bunch of videos online. I must warn you, though; it looks amazing. If you're very crafty, you could use the extra fur to stuff cushions... or couches, lol. I mean to say that it takes off a lot of fur. Big piles of fur. Check it out for yourself (ahem, or for your dog).

FURminator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aq-0...eature=related

Also, make sure to brush her everyday. This way you can capture some of the fur she's ready to lose before it comes out on your floors. Ask your local groomer or pet store about the best brushes to use with your dog. Some dogs shed all year long, and others shed more in spurts. You'll soon be able to tell which category your dog falls into. Remember that your dog is still very young, and many dogs go through different fur phases as they lose their puppy fur and grow into their adult dos. When your puppy is a bit older (even 6 months is usually fine), you can start using a groomer to help you to care for your pup's fine locks. Let us know how things go!

Mar 7, 2009, 01:57 AM

Interesting Linny, I never heard of the Furminator. Boy when my girls go through a shedding fit, they SHED. Not this little group of strands here and there, when that undercoat "blows", I'm talking bags full of hair per grooming session. It takes a good bit of extra time to brush out that loose hair, but I prefer to brush it out before it picks where it wants to land. Sometimes I'll look at the mountain of hair next to me when I'm done and wonder how the dog isn't bald! Thankfully the shedding fits are usually only 1-2 times a year.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 04:42 AM
    *sigh* this is what really makes me angry about people who breed cross-bred dogs. You never know what you are going to get! They assume it's going to have the poodle coat but obviously the pomeranian coat is more dominant.
    Get yourself a "whirly comb"... they just look like normal combs but each of the teeth rotate freely and they gets mats out of the dogs coat without pulling on their skin too much.
    Another option to help with the shedding on furniture is get some dog coats, thick ones for winter and thin ones for summer, most of the hair will get stuck to the coat, not on your furniture.
    Darlyene Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Mar 15, 2009, 11:47 AM

Pomeranians loose their baby coats at 4 months. They all do. It is called Blowing their coat. They recoat in about 2 months and loose it again at 1 year and males will shed on a yearly basis after that. The girls are a different story. They will blow their coat after every heat cycle and every litter birth. So to keep a girl in good coat spay her. It is healthier for her and it will keep her prettier for you.

Mar 15, 2009, 10:38 PM

You want to talk bags of fur? It's EVERYWHERE! I don't think there is one square inch of my house that doesn't have fur, and I can pull Niki's out in handfuls, and then still get bags and bags every single day when brushing her! It's insane!
    Its like a B-rated horror flick here. Shedding 2: Just when you thought it was over. We just got through one of the dogs blowing her coat and then the other started.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    Its like a B-rated horror flick here. Shedding 2: Just when you thought it was over. We just got through one of the dogs blowing her coat and then the other started.
    You could always save it up for winter and tell the kids its snow :p

Mar 17, 2009, 09:37 AM
    I have a use for all of the coat that my dogs loose. I live in the country and during the late winter and early spring I put the hair outside on bushes, wood piles and in a suet feeder. The birds use it for making their nest. It makes a soft bed for the babies. I save a lot of it during the summer and winter and put it out during the nest making season and it only takes a day or two for it all to be gone. Amazing.

Mar 17, 2009, 09:40 AM

Dog hair is easier to pick up using a rubber squeegee. I also have a rubber push broom for the carpet before the vacuum is used. There are Furminator knock offs out there that are a lot cheaper and work as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 3 week old poodle puppy is sick [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 wek old poodle puppy is sick her mom has quit taking care of her .she won't eatand she is breathing very lightly,we have tried feeding her with a bottle and she still doest want to eat please can someone tell what I can do for her?

Puppy Shedding [ 7 Answers ]

My 9 month old puppy is shedding everywhere. What a mess.

Relationship between my pomeranian puppy and me [ 4 Answers ]

I have had my puppy since she was 5 1/2 weeks old. I am the major caregiver of the most beautiful 10 1/2 week old pomeranian. I love her so much and she has come into my life when things were not going very well for me. The question I would like to ask is; why does she go crazy with happiness...

New pomeranian, very shy any ideas? [ 7 Answers ]

I just got Gizmo, a 4 m/o pom yesterday. He's up to date on his shots/vaccinations and is in healthy condition. He's AKC registered, and from a good trusted breeder. I was wondering if any one had any tips on how to make him feel a bit more at home? Since he's only been here a day I don't...

Pomeranian Troubles [ 1 Answers ]

I have been training my 9 month old pomeranian to do her business on the grass down the stairs for about 2 months now but she doesn't seem to learn!! If I am down there with her she knows where to do it. I feed her and she does it straight away on the grass. I go back upstairs and leave her outside...

View more questions Search