Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BurlKreauxdon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Foreign money transfers to an american bank
    My daughter married a foreign national. They live in Africa. She still has a checking acct here in the US. He recently was employed by a large multi national company headquartered in a 3rd country. It would be advantageous for his salary to be deposited into my daughter's checking account rather than into a bank account in his home country. Are there any ramifications vis-à-vis US banking laws, the IRS etc with respect to adding him to her bank account. He does not have an SSN. The amount of his salary would be about $2500 per month with occasional deposits as high as $5000 (quarterly bonus time) Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 02:29 PM

well, it certainly would be nice for both of them if the country he is working in has a higher dollar value then US or Canada right now. What he should do, is open a bank account in both their names where he is, and she transfer the money in her name to her bank account in the US. That would eliminate the SSN no. problem for him. But, they will have to pay taxes on any amounts going into the US bank account. You probably realized that anyway.

Why don't you act as her proxy and invest it when it comes over. Still taxes might have to be paid. I would call an investment banker and see how it could be done. These are large amounts and should be handled with kid gloves to the best advantage. But, the exchange rate is the question. Is their exchange rate higher ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bank account got red flag I need my money who can I call for the bank to relase it [ 6 Answers ]

I have a over sea investment account that I have had for many years now. I am in some financial problem and need to liquidate that account. It a very large some of money. I got the account wire transfer to my bank account. I knew the bank would red flag it because of the large amount but now it...

Bringing money from Foreign Country Bank [ 1 Answers ]

What about a person who has money in a bank in Serbia and is now a citizen of the U.S. Do they have to pay taxes?

Foreign 2nd home and foreign bank [ 2 Answers ]

We own property in China financed by a bank in China. Do we still need to file the 1042? And how d you figure the rate of exchange? By the month when paid? Thanks!

Foreign Bank CDs [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have seen the CD rates for Millennium Bank is 7.5% for one year. Needless to say I am interested since we can not find this rate anywhere in the U.S. Has anyone out there experienced dealings with this bank? Many Thanks Jaxmidway

View more questions Search