Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Sep 2, 2006, 09:51 AM
    I personally would TELL HIM that you are going for sole legal and physical custody! Believe it or not... the court does care about children! A judge will see that he is a "hybitual criminal" and will definitely suggest supervised visitation as long as they pass their drug test! (They will have to take a "urine" drug test once a week... at their expense... before they can see the child!

I don't know how well he is paying for his child support but eventually... he will have to pay it if he isn't already! (Which I doubt he is with him being in and out of prison and just possibly not getting his parole revoked!) I think you can treat him as a DOG at this point and swing a "T-Bone" in front of him and tell him that if he gives up his parental rights to your child then he will not have to pay back child support! For some reason those "dead beats" thrieve on that!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2006, 09:58 AM
    I would go for complete full sole custody and keep the father away.

The child is better off.

Joe
    missmeth18 Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2006, 12:31 PM
    I keep doubting myself. I know what is right but I am afraid that I may end up with joint physical. That would be awful. As for letting him off back support, that does not matter to him. His parents have a lot of money and they help him (even though he stole his parents car 2 months ago). Do you know if I need a lawyer for the family court commissioner?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 2, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Personally I would get a lawyer. I do not know if you HAVE to have one, but I would if I were in your shoes. He/She is better armed to look out for your and the child's best interests legally.

This man may intimidate you and break you down and you do not want that. You are already doubting yourself, why not put it into the hands of a professional who is legally and emotionally prepared to deal with jerks like this.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2006, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missmeth18
    Do i need a lawyer to go in front of the family court commissioner? I am getting together with the father to try to settle things out of court. Does anyone have advice on how to talk to him in order to get what I want? I am going to ask for sole custody with supervised visitation. He already agreed to the supervised visitation. He is very hard to talk to, so I need some pointers. Should I be nice and ask or should I tell him.
    Tell him. If he resists, you will need to go to court. At that point you should really try to hire a lawyer.

Sep 3, 2006, 10:08 AM
    How long would the court order supervised visitation? I know no one can give me an exact amount, but an average.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 07:11 PM
    How long would the court order supervised visitation? I know no one can give me an exact amount, but an average.
    I would guess for about a year, with the stipulation that, after that year is up, the case be re-evaluated and then a modified visitation order be established. It may be the same supervised visitation as before or it may be changed to unsupervised visitation ; anything is possible. It'd be up to the judge and how (s)he feels that father has progressed in addressing his own problems during that time. Actually this is something that you might want to suggest ; a year of supervised visitation, followed by a re-evaluation. No reasonable judge can really object to that.

Sep 5, 2006, 02:29 PM
    I am so annoyed! We set something up last wed for him to see his child. Well, he was supposed to be here today at 3:30 and it is now 4:30. I called him but his phone is off. He is a waste of time.

Sep 21, 2006, 08:42 AM
    So He is in jail right now but I believe they are letting him attend the hearing next week. He wrote me a letter telling me that I needed to agree on a few things. He wants joint legal custody. He also wants his visits to be every other weekend for 8 hours supervised by his mom. Once he turns 2 he wants overnights unsupervised. This guy is in jail, by the time he gets out my son will be between 13-27 months. First of all his mother is not going to sit at home on Saturday for 8 hrs, I am sure she would leave. Second of all, my son will have no clue where he is or who he is with. He would be scared. And overnights just getting out of jail. Is he absolutely crazy for asking for these things? I think so, but I need a second opinion.
    temp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 02:51 PM
    If I were in your shoes, I would most definiately file for full sole custody of my child. I am in a very much similar situation, and yet I still have questions about the subject. Your baby's protection should be the most important thing in your life and you don't want him to be around his father that could possibly hurt him.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Oct 21, 2006, 10:52 PM
    Please don't give in to his demands. He is beyond crazy, he is so irresponsible, he knows he's not in a position to care for a baby but he doesn't care, he wants to do it just because, and that's not safe for your baby. You're right, his mom isn't going to do anything, don't believe it.

Fight tooth and nail for his sake, this is when he needs you to be mother bear and protect him at all costs.

Oct 22, 2006, 10:52 AM
    AHHHH!! I just found out that right before he went to prison he moved into an apartment less than 100 ft away from mine. Stalker! That is scary. Now his parents are paying his rent so that he does not lose it. Would it be possible to have his rights terminated? Also, will they let him out of jail for mediation?
    Jen8446 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 06:43 PM
    My son is 3 months. I was never married to his father. His father has 4 felonies and a criminal record that is 35 pages long. He has had an addiction to cocaine since he was 19 and he is now 31. Since i have known him he has not been clean for more than 3 months. He has been through rehab at least 6 times. He was either in jail or rehab the entire time I was pregnant. He stayed clean for about 2 1/2 months until last week when he went on a binge. He lost his job, which is part of his parole. His Parole officer knows of this last incident and they have a meeting on monday. We are not (as of yet) taking this to court. We do have a meeting at the child support agency where we will discuss custody and visitation. I know that I have to have sole physical custody, but should I ask for sole legal also? I would like to have both, but is that asking too much. I know that he is not stable enough to make major decisions for his child, but I do not want trouble.
    I would definitely go for full custody with supervised visitation! Your son is not safe with him, believe me, I know. I'm going through the same thing as you, only I don't have to worry for now because my ex is going away for a year for violation of probation. But as of now, he only see's our son with me there. With a record like that there's no way that he'll get unsupervised visitation. Definitely go for full custody, you'll get it.
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 09:17 PM
    My son is 3 months. I was never married to his father. His father has 4 felonies and a criminal record that is 35 pages long. He has had an addiction to cocaine since he was 19 and he is now 31. Since i have known him he has not been clean for more than 3 months. He has been through rehab at least 6 times. He was either in jail or rehab the entire time I was pregnant. He stayed clean for about 2 1/2 months until last week when he went on a binge. He lost his job, which is part of his parole. His Parole officer knows of this last incident and they have a meeting on monday. We are not (as of yet) taking this to court. We do have a meeting at the child support agency where we will discuss custody and visitation. I know that I have to have sole physical custody, but should I ask for sole legal also? I would like to have both, but is that asking too much. I know that he is not stable enough to make major decisions for his child, but I do not want trouble.
    Most times now aday, the judges give shared custody. Like 1 week with one parent and then the next with the other parent. Or 3 days out of the week with one and 4 with the other parent (this is how it just happened with my sisters kids. You have to show that is an unfit parent to get full custody. Which it surely sounds like it. I would take everything to court and if I were you I would go for full custody too. You want your baby safe.
    radiola Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Mar 30, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Write Down Everything That Is Said Between You And Him, Even If You Think It's Trivil. How Much Time The Father Spends With The Child,or How Much Time He Dosen't Spend With Your Son. How Much Time He Spends With His Other Child Counts As Well. How Does His Parents Feel About Everything? Are They On You Side Or His? Stick To Your Guns Fight For Your Son!

Apr 11, 2007, 08:27 AM
    His mother definitely babies him. She bails him out of everything. His mother is not involved, although she says she wants to be. She makes no effort at all. The Dad has never seen his grandson, and does not care to. My sons father missed 4 visits in 2 months, because he was doing drugs. His other child wants nothing to do with her father. She has not seen my son because she does not want to be reminded of her father. I think that they are all screwd up and that they should just leave us alone, but that will never happen.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Dec 9, 2008, 05:51 PM

It just seems so ironic that this guy is such a bad person. I mean you must have only known him for 12 months. You must have had sex on the first night. That's the only explanation for somoene to get involved with a guy like this. If you didn't then you obviously were attracted to the excitement of a bad boy/thug (maybe you can settle him down) but it backfired. Why did you sleep with this guy? Why did you sleep with him without protection? What does he keep getting arrested for? Sex crimes? If not, if he wants to be part of his kids life you will no way in hell get full sole custody and he loses rights. What the hell were you doing with somoen like this if he is so bad? Was the baby a mistake? An Accident?

Dec 9, 2008, 06:02 PM

With the background of this guy you really didn't believe he would change. Well, what you are saying is that this baby was an accident. You are the mother and he is the father. I don't even know my dad and still love him and think about him all the time. I hate him but I love him. No uncles no grandpas no male will ever replace a boys father ever. Someon said that on here but they are an idiot. If anything another male will cause the boy to rebel.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 06:03 PM

With his record I can't see him getting much more than supervised visits. Go for full custody and have documentation of everything about him.

Dec 9, 2008, 06:18 PM

Whatever kind of visit the father is the father. You had sex with him now deal with it. What are his crimes? Guy on death row the last thing he thinks about is how much he loves his child...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is She Full Of Herself. [ 20 Answers ]

Well today I think I screwed up. I told her that I thought it was stupid of me to tell her that I liked her. She responded by saying its OK lot of my friends have had crushes on her. Is she a conceded b**** or what?

Which is better settle in full or paid in full [ 20 Answers ]

I had a discover card opened when I was a young adult with my father(about eight years ago). As of a 18 months ago he stop paying on it even though the charges were made by him. Now I'm trying to take a step towards business ventures and this and some other things are on my credit are present. I...

What do I need to do a full XP install? [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased a used DELL PC from the salvage unit at my university. It looks like it has Windows NT and a lost/unknown administrator password. I want to wipe everything and install XP or XP Home. I can buy some sort of XP upgrade CD through the university's staff purchase program: Windows...

Full physical custody and vacation laws in CA [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have full physical custody of both my daughters. My ex-husband is extremely irate with me because he now has a lien against him for unpaid child support. I am taking the summer off work and I'm planning on taking my daughters from California on a trip to Oregon for 3 weeks to visit...

View more questions Search