Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrszipple12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Information on Vincint Van Gogh Literature search.
    I am a student in in a clinical psychology program and am attempting to write a 30 page paper on Van Gogh. Information I need is not easy to find. Any literature you could direct me to on his life, his illness, his treatment, and his behaviors, would be greatly appreciated. I know the basic story; but I can't use myself as a source of information. Other artists who suffered from mental health issues would also be appreciated with literature sources to assist in writing my paper. I appreciate you help--thank you.
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Mar 6, 2009, 12:20 PM
    "Lust for Life" is a great book on the subject. For an extremely personal glimpse into his thoughts check out "The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh". A collection of letters he sent to his brother Theo.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrszipple12 View Post
    I am a student in in a clinical psychology program and am attempting to write a 30 page paper on Van Gogh. Information I need is not easy to find. Any literature you could direct me to on his life, his illness, his treatment, and his behaviors, would be greatly appreciated. I know the basic story; but I can't use myself as a source of information. Other artists who suffered from mental health issues would also be appreciated with literature sources to assist in writing my paper. I appreciate you help--thank you.
    Please go to your college or public library and enlist the aid of a reference librarian. They will show you how to do a literature search using a variety of keywords and get printouts of articles, abstracts, and bibliographies. If you Google on Internet using "famous artists mental illness," you will pull up some interesting and helpful sites.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 11:40 PM

Yep, your only real option will be to do a lot of good searching around at your university's libraries. Not long from now, you're going to be asking how to narrow down the information that's out there. There have been innumerable studies on every aspect of Van Gogh as a man, of his life, and of his works.

I've read many books on creativity and madness; they delve into the lives and works of famously creative people to study the relationships between their genius and their psychological disorders. I find it absolutely fascinating. I think you're in for a great ride.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 12:29 AM

Hi, mrszipple12!

Information that can be found via clicking on the following links should also be of help to you.

The Illness of Vincent van Gogh -- Blumer 159 (4): 519 -- Am J Psychiatry

Vincent van Gogh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vincent van Gogh's life - The Later Years

Creativity and chronic disease Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890)

Vincent van Gogh Biography

Are you limited to just visual artists who suffered from mental health issues? There are many musicians who also suffered from mental health issues.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Its all about literature [ 1 Answers ]

What are the ways to write an introductory paragraph of a thesis?

Can someone tell me a free website to search for information on people [ 2 Answers ]

I have been trying to find background information for free on the internet of a guy I've just met who has promised me the world. Can someone tell me a website to use to find out any information I can for free

How to search person information by IP address or Yahoo mail [ 5 Answers ]

I received unknow person's email from YAhoo.com.ph and would like to search it's backround informations. I got the IP address and the person's email address only. Please help. Thanks

Local information search [ 12 Answers ]

Hi there. How do you people deal with huge amounts of documents? We have a few computers in the local network and finding a particular document sometimes becomes a nightmare... windows standard search definitely doesn't help...

Vincent van gogh [ 1 Answers ]

In the touring von Thyssen exhibition of the early 1980's was a van Gogh beach scene, predominantly in yellows and oranges,with dinghys/small boats to the right of the frame and a wharf/pier extending to roughly the centre of the picture. There may have been a sunrise or sunset. It was about the...

View more questions Search