Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    in_a_bind Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Paid security deposit did not sign lease
    I need to get accurate advice on my rights. I applied for an apartment and was accepted. The complex has a waiting list and I have had to wait for 2 months for the apartment to open up. I was required to give a $480 security deposit on receipt of the approval letter and have not yet signed the lease. The apartment manager also refuses to tell me the rent amount until I sign the lease, the excuse being that this is a government aided complex. In light of recent events and my personal safety I have decided not to rent the apartment. I recently found out the apartment manager goes into units and steals from the tenants. I called the office and she refused me my deposit back stating that I voided the contract and it is non refundable. I called the corporate office and basically received the same reaction. I then called the C.E.O. and have not had my call returned yet. I am very unhappy and need my deposit back to put it down on a new apartment, is there anything I can do?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2006, 11:37 AM
    What state do you live in??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Rental laws vary by state, also what did the contract say about the deposit?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 25, 2006, 01:41 PM
    You signed your deposit away... it may ULTIMATELY have been going to be credited to your security deposit; however, given as you have outlined, it is a "holding deposit" pending the ultimate paperwork... you have lost your deposit.

This is VERY COMMON with government funded/insured properties as time is of the essence when applicants need to get their financial/qualification paperwork in to the office or loose their place in the "waiting line"... the deposit is mgmt's guarantee that you will follow through with your paperwork requirements so that they are not left with vacant/non-revenue generating units.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Hello in:

Does the rental application refer to the depost you were required to give? Do you have ANY agreement that mentions the deposit. Were you verbally advised to submit a deposit? What does the receipt say?

Assuming that you have NO documentation regarding the deposit, I suggest that you CAN get it back. They just can't ask for, and keep deposits that are not agreed to. I think you should sue them.

excon
    in_a_bind Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Response
    I live in Volusia County, Florida. The preliminary acceptance letter stated the deposit must be given within 7 days of receiving the letter. I signed a lot of paperwork, of that I was not given any copies. I think all of the papers were only income vertification. I was in a bad car accident so that is the only reason I entertained living in a rent controlled apartment. A tenant told me the apt mgr will go in and steal the elderly and disabled tenants medication and the mgr made the mistake of validating what I was told as I know her personally.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 26, 2006, 02:26 PM
    I think you are mixing up the types of apts. I don't think Florida has any rent controlled areas. Government subsidized (either through lower rents/tax credits or straight out subsidy) would need income verification.

If you knew of the manager's history with "stealing" why did you apply there and give her any $$$?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Well, you never signed a lease so you couldn't have "voided the contract." Go to small claims court and sue them for the $480 plus filing fees (probably in the neighborhood of $25.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all I am new here. I was researching laws on security deposits and found this fourm. So here is the story... In August of 2004 my husband and I were 15 days late on the rent. We tried talking to our Landlord to tell him we were expecting money in October and to let us pay rent as usual...

How To Get Security Deposit Back! [ 18 Answers ]

Hello all, My wife and I started renting an apartment in Virginia back in August on a month to month basis. We never had a check list from the landlord to assess the condition of the apartment. Among other things, the carpet was in bad shape and it also smelled bad. Before we moved in, the...

Yet to pay deposit- Can I void lease? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi- I really need some help VERY soon! Sorry, I'll try to keep it as short as possible. I go to a hugh university and needed a room to rent. I called about an add the school paper and it was a guy who's parents and another family co-owned a 4 bedroom house. The guy lived in the house but was...

Help my security deposit! [ 3 Answers ]

Moved out June 24 (pennsylvania). Move out date was June30 (was doing my landlord a favor so she can re-do bathroom.) Called her July 17 and she says she is not giving any of my security deposit ($1000) because the 60days prior to my moveout, the apt was "filthy" (I procrastinate...

Nonrefundable security deposit (PA) [ 10 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a nonrefundable security deposit in pa? I am trying to find a way out of my lease, but I am not sure the best way to do it. They say I have to give 3 months notice and pay 4 months rent as a fee. That would equal about $2000. They might have called it something besides a...

View more questions Search