Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elizie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 08:33 AM
    I think a HIPPAA law was broken.
    If I am taking care of a private care client and on my day off I go to see my doctor which happens to be the same doctor my client sees and we discuss my client while I am there have I violated HIPPAA Laws?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 08:40 AM

You both have. If personal information was exchanged.
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 08:41 AM
    And it's HIPAA.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 08:50 AM

What exactly did you discuss? Hippaa does not preclude you from talking abouth the client, you just can't share medical information. I'd need to hear more about what was said to tell for sure. Hippa does not apply to you but it does apply to the doctor,heath care agency or insurance company. You did not violate any law but possibly the doctor did if he talked about the persons health.
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 09:01 AM

Well, he's her client so she would be bound by Hipaa laws as well.

Mar 6, 2009, 09:08 AM

Possibly, he has not fully explained the extent of his care giving. If "he" is a health provider then there is a possible violation. We would need to know what the provider/client relationship is exactly. Keep in mind, in any case, we would still need to know what was discussed. Hippa does not apply to personal information, it covers heath information.
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 09:14 AM

True--private care needs to be explained. It could vary from state to state. It's the same thing I do for a living. And what was discussed.

Mar 6, 2009, 09:17 AM

Hippa is federal via the Office of Human Rights, it will not vary from state to state.
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 09:29 AM

I have been in healthcare for 5 years, I know that. I was referring to the definition of the job title "private care"
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2009, 09:46 AM

If you were providing medical care for your client, then it would be appropriate to discuss that care with the client's physician. I don't see a violation there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Song and female artist about "broken" or "broken girls" [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of the song and female artist about "broken" or "broken girls". I think it was either on "Dexter" or "Dirt" in the background music

Trying to fix something that is broken. [ 39 Answers ]

My once fiancé, but now just my girlfriend told me tonight that she hates me and wants to never see me again. We've been together for almost 5 years and had problems in the past. We recently moved to Texas and I felt as though it was time to start over again. I work for a local law enforcement...

Just got broken up with [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I need help. I just got broken up with after 5 months almost 6. its got to be the hardest thing I have ever been through. I have NEVER felt this way with another guy I don't know what to do we have been very on a off but one day he had came over about a weeek ago and we were broken up but he...

Broken jaw [ 3 Answers ]

My kitten is believed to suffer a broken jaw is this something that can heal on its own or do I need a vet? Won't eat or drink

View more questions Search