Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mybooster Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 06:20 AM
    Aquarium water changes
    First time aquarium, I have a 55g tank that has a lot of artificial plants, when doing a water changed they say to clean the stones on the bottom for waste If I do a water change every week like suggested do I have to remove all of the plants each time
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 10:28 PM
    Are you doing water changes every week while your aquarium cycles?

You do not need to remove the plants from the aquarium when doing water changes.

Also, until your aquarium has completed it's cycle, it's advisable to not disturb the gravel. Lots of good bacteria will live in the gravel.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 05:00 AM
    We got a weed mat and put it about 20cms away from our filter... it's basically a plastic mat that looks like grass, it catches all the left over food and poopies as they get sucked towards the filter which you can just clean out and it means you don't have to clean the filter as much... just change the carbon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Aquarium water trouble [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am getting very discouraged over our aquarium. I can not get the water to stabilize. It is a new tank started with a cycle starter before adding fish, water was perfect added fish fed them too much got high amonia, did a water change fixed the amonia problem now my nitrate is 5.0 my...

Aquarium water ph [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 400litre tropical tank with malawi cichlids. The ph in the water keeps dropping to 6. The last time this happened I brought the ph back up to 8 using ph8.2 powder. I am due to change the water tomorrow but checked the water again out of curiousity but find it has dropped back down to 6...

Aquarium water hardness [ 1 Answers ]

My aquarium water tests out as very hard. I use well water that is in an area known for lime content. I add water to the tank that has been run through a Brita filter. Can I use aquarium salt to soften the water?

Aquarium water [ 2 Answers ]

I'm setting up a freshwater aquarium & I have "well water" that goes through a water softner... can anyone tell me if this will be okay to use in an aquarium? Thanks, "Ken" [email protected]

View more questions Search