Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    auondicz Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Strange voltage measurement
    I got some strange voltage measurement when I was repairing an electrical outlet and hope someone can explain this to me.

I have a electrical outlet with hot wire connected and neutral wire disconnected. A lamp with a simple rotary switch at the light bulb socket is plugged in to the socket. Breaker is on.

When I switch the lamp to on (it does not actually turn on becase neutral is disconnected) and measure the voltage between the neutral terminal and ground I got 110V. This is what I expected. As there is no current flowing the voltage drop across the bulb is zero and I am just measuring the voltage of the hot wire.

When I switch the lamp to off I expected the voltage between the neutral terminal and ground to be zero, since the neutral side is effectively disconnected from the hot side through the open switch. But instead I measured about 55V from neutral to ground. I try it again with switch - on and unscrewed the bulb and again got the same thing. For some reason there is a 55V drop across open switch or the open bulb socket.

Can anyone tell me what is happening here?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Since the switch is open ,and your testing across the neutral and ground, you must be reading volts across the neutral and ground from another source.

Can you test other outlets? All you need to do is check any unused outlet.

May be a clue to a hidden problem. I don't think the lamp is the issue.

Sep 19, 2006, 07:37 AM
    Actually I found out my digital voltmeter is causing the problem. When I test the above with a cheap analog meter I got the expected results.

I stick one lead from the digital voltmeter into a (normal) hot outlet (the other lead just dangling in mid air) and it shows between 20 to 50V. Is this how digital voltmeter is supposed to behave? Or is mine just busted? Weird!
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 19, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Not wierd- expected. The analog meter has a low resistance compared to the higher quality of the digital meter.

The neutral is open, so the voltage is floating. A floating voltage will not drive an analog meter but a digital meter will measure the voltage as half of the supply voltage; 110V/ 2=55V.

Sep 25, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Thanks for clearing this up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square Footage measurement. [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to get the correct square footage of living space for a home? What measurements should I take to compile this number? And what areas do not come into consideration? Thanks. Dave.

Window measurement [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install double hung windows in my home. I'm buying the windows from home depot. Question #1, when measuring windows do I give exact measuring example one windows measure w-29 3/8 - h-61 1/4 . Question #2 I live northeast what type of insulation I install in the inside of the windows. ...

Voltage drops [ 10 Answers ]

We have an ongoing problems with our house lights experiencing "drops" or "dimming". Our electricity provider has tested all external connections and installed a monitor, with no problems found. We had multiple electricians inspect the circuit box and all connections, with no problems found. ...

Voltage drop [ 2 Answers ]

How far can you run an electrical cord, that is plugged into a 20 amp circuit, and still run a circular saw? If the saw starts slowly, will that harm the saw?

Please help with numerical (income measurement & reporting) accounting problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the following problems. Can someone please help me with these problems. I really need some help. I would really appreciate it. Thanks 1) During a recent period a real estate development company using the installment method of revenue recognition used a 40% gross profit...

View more questions Search