Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 11:39 PM
    Homemade Teeth Whitners
    I've heard that if you mix baking soda and something else that it'll whiten your teeth. Is this true? If not, is there a homemade teeth whitner?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 11:44 PM

Usually, a little bit of baking soda while brushing does wonders.

However, an affordable method is using pre-brushing rinse, made by crest. I think it's less than $10, and you rinse for 30 seconds before brushing your teeth.
    Vision Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 11:46 PM

Oh yeah, I've used that stuff for ages! I'm a smoking, tea-drinking, coffee drinking fool. So something is always needed!

P.S. Thought you were going to bed...
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 11:49 PM

I figured I'd keep you company... here... teehee
    Vision Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 11:50 PM

... and on my other question, geez, stop stalking me ISF...
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 11:51 PM

Can't help it. Tee hee
    Vision Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 11:52 PM

Haha, I'm thinking of getting that brush on 5 minute stuff. Blugh, but I wanted to know of household stuff first cause money's kind of tight these days. Blah.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 11:54 PM

As I said, baking soda does wonders. I've tried it before, but the key is diligence.
    Vision Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 11:59 PM

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of a baking soda tooth paste?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 09:35 AM

Baking soda can be abrasive. Be careful if you are using it every day. Crest has a toothpaste called "Vivid White" it has stain removers and stain inhibitors in it. You really should start using it right after you have your professional cleaning to keep your pearlies nice and white.
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 09:44 AM

That's the thing. They're not white, I want a quick way to whiten my teeth.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 11:01 AM

There's no real "quick" way to whiten your teeth at home. If you're looking for a cheap way out, just try a whitening toothpaste. Colgate used to have several with baking soda (smoother formula than baking soda out of the box) & peroxide. Those are pretty safe but they're not going to give you the dazzling results you're hoping for. I know it sounds silly, but even drinking your teas/coffees/colas through a straw can help lessen staining.

The home whitening kits aren't very expensive and I hear they are pretty effective. Plus they won't make your teeth AS sensitive which tends to happen with whitening products.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 11:17 AM

I've used straight baking soda since I was a kid. Every few weeks or so, I get out the baking soda and brush the pearly whites. Helps with the coffee :)
    Vision Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    There's no real "quick" way to whiten your teeth at home. If you're looking for a cheap way out, just try a whitening toothpaste. Colgate used to have several with baking soda (smoother formula than baking soda out of the box) & peroxide. Those are pretty safe but they're not going to give you the dazzling results you're hoping for. I know it sounds silly, but even drinking your teas/coffees/colas through a straw can help lessen staining.

The home whitening kits aren't very expensive and I hear they are pretty effective. Plus they won't make your teeth AS sensitive which tends to happen with whitening products.
    I use Arm and Hammer Whitening paste. And I do drink from straws. I was just thinking of something that would work before having to buy the at-home-whitening-kits.
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 05:57 PM

Like I said before, baking soda once in a while. Wet your toothbrush and use the soda. I use it probably every other week or so. No need to buy the expensive kits.
    Vision Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 06:02 PM

I want quick results.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 06:06 PM
    Yeah once in a while and you should be fine. Try it for a while and see if you get any results before you buy the at-home kits. Can't hurt; just don't overdo it! Just remember you won't see instant results.

Take a "before" picture and that way you can gauge your results.
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 07:53 PM

Have you tried baking soda?? I'm not saying it will take weeks for it to work. I just use it every few weeks.

It is an instant whitener. Try it. If that doesn't work, someone will have a different solution. But at least try and take the advice we've given.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homemade 12v vaporiser [ 6 Answers ]

MK, since I have several electronic gods responding, maybe I'll ask more directly. I'm trying to make a portable 12volt vaporiser, tey normally sell for hundreds and I want to make some good money while at the same time helping people (at least) not smoke. The idea is a box containing a heated...

Homemade Blintzes [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to make homemade blintzes?

Homemade Pierogi [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have recipe for homemade pierogi? You can buy them in bags ready to fry, but I would like to know how to make my own.

Who knows anything about homemade lotion [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have ingredients for a home made lotion to get a lighter skin tone

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

View more questions Search