Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HOPEB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Question about infertility
    Just found the site today, this is my first post.

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for over a year.

In March it was determined that I had blockage in my tubes and that same month I had laparoscopy to remove the blockage.

It is now the end of Aug and still no pregnancy. Am I being too impatient?

My dr's recommendation is to start a round of clomid, however our insurance does not cover any infertility treatment and we are still recovering from the cost of the surgery.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 25, 2006, 08:00 AM
    With tubal blockage your only course may be to take clomid as recommended by your doctor.

However, since you only had the surgery in March, and it is now August, You should really give it more time.

As I am sure you already know, for many women it takes 6 months to a year of trying. I would try until March before starting the clomid.

Aug 25, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Thanks for the advice.

From what I understand clomid is used to help you ovulate.

Does the blockage I had in some way hinder ovulation?
    Expert

Aug 25, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Well, blockage does not hinder ovulation per se... it more or less stops the egg from leaving the fallopian tube.

Ovulation begins in the ovaries then the egg slowly moves down the fallopian tube into the uterus.

When you ovulate and become pregnant, the pregnancy actually begins in the fallopian tube, then the fertalized egg moves down the tube into the uterus and attaches itself there.

So, I don't know the % of your blockage, but it could prevent the egg from moving through the tube. You have 2 ovaries that ovulate at different times. The clomid would most likely be to help the unblocked side to ovulate better.

Was the blockage on one side or both?

Aug 25, 2006, 10:49 AM
    The blockage was on both sides. My left side was blocked at the uterus and the other at my ovary.

The surgery cleared both blockages, I'm just wondering if my tubes being blocked prevented me from releasing eggs at all.

Maybe I don't have a good enough grasp of my own anatomy LOL

This may seem like a silly question but in the tube that was blocked at my uterus, if I did ovulate where did the egg go? Or was it never released?
    Expert

Aug 25, 2006, 10:59 AM
    It is released from the ovary. Our eggs only live for approximately 24 hours after ovulation. If the egg was not "permitted" to enter the uterus it basically disintegrates. I can give you medical terms, but it is harder to understand.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Aug 26, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Ok just for my own info... would this increase the chances of an ectopic pregnancy? I am just wondering for my own curiosity satisfaction. That way if it comes up later I will know.
    Expert

Aug 26, 2006, 07:41 AM
    It can possibly if the blockage is great. I am not sure of the percentage though.

It also depends on the blockage itself, ie: scar tissue, injury, etc.

If the smooth muscle inside the tube is healthy and the blockage was caused by a squeezing, if you will, on the outside then all should be fine.

I am not 100% on this, but that is what I have learned so far.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search