Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lloydb90 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 10:30 PM
    Electrical outlet outage
    While watching TV last night the outlet went dead. It may have been overloaded. However, when I tested the outlet, the checker indicated that the Hot and ground were reversed. The circuit breaker looks good and I reset it for good measure. How do I go about solving this problem? Thanks, Lloyd.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 11:17 PM
    Hot and ground reversed can mean an open neutral.

Is this the only outlet on the circuit that's bad? And you've checked connections? No stab ins, all wires secured at receptacle screws?
    lloydb90 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    hot and ground reversed can mean an open neutral.

is this the only outlet on the circuit thats bad? and youve checked connections? no stab ins, all wires secured at receptacle screws?

There are other outlets on the circuit with the same problem. Will check out the possibility of open ground on all affected outlets as you suggested. Thanks for your response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfi outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved into the house in May. I believe the gfi outlet was working when the inspector inspected our house, but it seemed soon after it stopped working. We tried to press the reset button just in case the test button was pressed and nothing happens (meaning it won't depress or anything). Just...

Grounding an Outlet [ 22 Answers ]

I am moving into an older house that has only 2-prong outlets. Some are 3-prong, but they are not grounded (I have a power strip that tells you if it is gounded or not). I found this at Ace Hardware....

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

Printer Problem - Power Outage [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, The company I work for recently had a power outage and one of our printers has a message on it. The message reads: Load file and execute. The printer is stuck here. I turn it on and off several times, replaced the jetdirect card and changed the memory. None of which helped. Has...

Outside outlet problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hello anyone, This is the first time I've done this so I hope I explain this O K I have an outlet on the outside of my home ,actually there are two, One in the front and one in the back of the house. Whenever I plug anything like Christmas lights or the swimming pool filter into either of...

View more questions Search