Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Tax and rebate when moved to US in later half of the year
    Hi guys,

I moved to US from my home country in later half of the year 2008 under H-1B alone (with my family back in my home country). My questions are:
    1. Since I was single in US (though I have wife and kids back home), I think I should file as a single. Am I correct?
    2. Do I qualify for 600 $ rebate for 2008?

Thanks
    soms
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 01:57 AM

You have two choices:
    Choice 1: If you did not complete SPT in 2008, you can file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

Choice 2: You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly. You will have to wait till you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2009.

You will get standard deduction of $10,900 and exemptions for both of you.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2008.

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and attach with your tax return.
    You can also deduct moving expenses.
    Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19 year old son moved out [ 10 Answers ]

I feel I have always been a good mother. Raised both children in a good environment & home life. I have worked in the same profession for 27 years. My son has moved out with another family. The parents have just recently quit their jobs, their home is a wonderful home, but yet it is a complete...

Why would they do this a year and a half later? [ 11 Answers ]

A year and a half ago, I received a summons with complaint. No court date or mention of hearing, just that I was required to file an answer to the complaint within 30 days, which I did. My answer was that I had no knowledge of the account that was referred to in the complaint (in fact, the...

Work in NYC, moved to NJ mid-year [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in NYC all last year of 2007. But I moved from NYC to NJ end of February 2007. The wrinkle is that I got paid a bonus in Jan and paid NYC city taxes on the bonus. Since I moved to NJ in February, can I prorate the bonus over the year and get a refund on the city taxes I paid? Thanks!

Half a year later and not over Ex G/f [ 8 Answers ]

My girlfriend of almost a year randomly left me without even telling me we were over. She pretty much just ran away. No cell phone. Nothing to get a hold of her. And I get a stupid myspace message saying it was over. Ive had another girlfriend since then but I guess it was just a relationship for...

It's been half a year... [ 14 Answers ]

Just wanted to announce to all of you that this coming Friday Pete and I will have been together 6months and it is also Petes birthday on that day. Lots of celebrating to do! I am happier than I have ever been ;)

View more questions Search