Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Mar 5, 2009, 02:04 AM
    Substitute ingredient
    Hello... I need some Gruyere cheese for a recipe I'm trying out at the weekend, I'm not hopeful that I'll be able to get it in the village where I am just now, can anyone recommend a substitute please?
    Thank you :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 02:35 AM

Hi, neelie, you can sub any kind of swiss cheese, as long it melts well.

Mar 5, 2009, 03:22 AM
    Hi, neelie, you can sub any kind of swiss cheese, as long it melts well.[/QUOTE]

Hello Tickle, once again thank you for your advise, I'm sure I've seen Emmantel in the local shops. I'm from England and I really miss British cheese. When I lived in England you could buy most foreign cheeses, Swiss, German, French, some Polish. I've yet to find a shop nearby;... Mid West Poland and East Germany... who sell English cheeses :(
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 09:15 PM

Hi Neelie. I can identify with you. What I wouldn't do for easy access to good cheddar!

What exactly are you making this weekend that calls for Gruyere? The recipe can make a difference.

As a general rule, Swiss (Emmanthaler is fine) is indeed a good substitute for Gruyere. In a pinch, you could also use Edam (or Edamer), Provolone (if it's an Italian export it should be "dolce," which is more mild, not "piccante", which is much stronger) or even Fontina. One advantage to these cheeses is that they all melt well and similarly to Gruyere. Again, though, it's really going to come down to what kind of a recipe you're making. Good luck!

Mar 5, 2009, 11:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    Hi Neelie. I can identify with you. what i wouldn't do for easy access to good cheddar!

What exactly are you making this weekend that calls for Gruyere? The recipe can make a difference.

As a general rule, Swiss (Emmanthaler is fine) is indeed a good substitute for Gruyere. In a pinch, you could also use Edam (or Edamer), Provolone (if it's an Italian export it should be "dolce," which is more mild, not "piccante", which is much stronger) or even Fontina. One advantage to these cheeses is that they all melt well and similarly to Gruyere. Again, though, it's really going to come down to what kind of a recipe you're making. Good luck!
    I'm making Cheesey Chicken Lasagne (first time), parmesan is used in the sauce, and Gruyere is sprinkled over the sauce. I can get lots of Polish cheeses here which are great for melting, but the flavour is really really mild! I'm shopping in Germany today so I'll look for those you've mentioned.
    I lived in England all of my life until 3 years ago, and although I ate cheese it usually wasn't the very strong kind, now that I can't get it, I want it so badly! Some good mature Cheddar is now a treat , and Red Leicester is great for cooking. When anyone comes to visit from UK I they always bring me cheese and Branston pickle! Thanks again. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone had good results with sepiwhite ingredient? [ 29 Answers ]

Apperently this is a really good ingredient for skin lightening and its safe. Has anyone used a product containg this and does it work? Thanks :)

Substitute ingredient [ 3 Answers ]

I have a recipe for Salsa and one of the ingredients is Jicama, which I'm told is Mexican Potato, does anyone know of a substitute I could use please?

Any good recipes with pineapple as main ingredient? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm just looking for a good recipe with pineapple being the main ingredient... Thanks!:D

Substitute ingredients [ 2 Answers ]

Can I substitute shortening with margarine?

Gelatin substitute [ 4 Answers ]

I have a recipie that calls for gelatin. However, I am alergic to gelatin. The recipie is for a mousse. Is there anything I can use instead?? Thank you!

View more questions Search