Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RockSolid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
    Post Construction Clean up pricing
    I'm a new business located in Wilmington, DE in need of assistance in pricing my first post construction clean up. The job is 150 unit 125,244 sq ft apartment complex. The complex has 12 buildings, has an entrance way and the office are has a community room The scope of services requires the cleaning of each unit for move-in. As one section (48 units)is completed residents will be moved out of old section into the new. The time between each section being ready for the post construction clean up, could be a month later.

You assistance in advising how to calculate the sq ft price, cost per window, VCT floor waxing, etc as well as an approximate amount of time it should take and how many employees are needed.

Thank you
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2009, 12:08 AM

Hi, RockSolid!

I know just the person on this site who would be able to help you with this. He is an Expert who goes by the name of Stringer. He doesn't usually frequent this forum topic area. So, I'll let him know about your post.

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 07:38 AM

Good morning RockSolid,

A question first please;

Will you be cleaning the new apartments AND the 'old' ones as they move out? The reason that I ask is, cleaning the old ones may be somewhat of a different animal. Instead of just doing a construction clean up on the new ones the old ones may require a more 'deeper' cleaning; wall spots, spills and stains on any carpet, cleaning appliances that have been used, etc. Thus taking more time per apartment.

Stripping and refinishing VCT (3 to 4 coats of finish) can be done at approximately 500 sq ft per hour effectively,if it is taking you more time then improvement is needed, and includes cleaning up after, i.e. baseboards, etc.

Pricing is always relative to many things; competition, location, economy, costs, union job, etc. Any choice in pricing that you use will be your decision, my information is only a suggestion.

In urban and close suburban areas the pricing is usually a bit higher; stripping and refinishing-$.23 to $.26 per sq ft. Carpet cleaning (hot water extraction method-best); $.11 to $.15 per sq ft.

Window cleaning where no great heights are involved; $2.50 to $2.75 per pane per side, this is for each piece of glass. A normal single pull up window has four sides... times... $.

As to how many people this will take is again relative as this work is a 'time' controlled situation. For example; how many apartments will you be cleaning at one time and for how long. By that I mean will you be called to clean 5 apartments one day and then two weeks later another 15 to 20 apartments?

What I would do is first determine exactly how long it will take to completely clean one apartment and the immediate hallway outside the apartment then extend your pricing. Don't forget the stairs, elevators, common areas, community areas, etc.

I would highly hope that you are incorporated and have liability insurance as this will only benefit you in many ways. I would also strongly suggest that if this work is in phase, that you come up with a 'sign off' sheet for an authority with the owner to date and sign off on as completed to their satisfaction as each phase is completed.

If this helped you please let me know and please get back to answer my question, thanks.

Stringer
    LabourCrew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2012, 02:37 AM
    http://labourcrew.com/ contact them for post construction and general labour questions regarding your project! Great guys!
    guruofcleaning Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 06:04 PM
    I am bidding on a 5000 sq. ft. building on post construction clean up, refinishing floors, cleaning of ceilings,windows,doors,walls,appliances,baseboards , light fixtures, etc. I need some help on what should I bid? I think the job will take me about 5 days to complete the clean up and have it ready for inspection by the contractor. If someone can give me a helping hand or a word of advice, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Business Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 06:33 PM
    How high is the ceiling?

What type/s for flooring?

Are you required to scrub and refinish the hard floors?

How high are the windows? (In and out?)

Anyone that tells you a price without knowing any of the facts in batty.

Please answer these and I will help where I can.

You should start your own thread...

Stringer
    guruofcleaning Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 06:43 PM
    @stringer

The ceiling is about 30ft high - vct floors only to be scrubbed and refinished. The windows are not high, inside and out cleaning on them. I will do a full general cleaning on the whole inside of the building.
    Business Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 09:51 PM
    Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, out of town for a while.

You will need a scaffold or lift to do any cleaning at that height. You can rent either, make sure to cover your costs with your client in your bid.

Pricing depends on many variables however in my area I would charge possibly $0.35 to $0.40 per sq ft.

Remember that pricing is your decision in the end.

Stringer
    Smartway Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2013, 01:19 PM
    Stringer,

I had a few questions for you can you email me with your information at [email protected]
    Business Expert

Mar 13, 2013, 01:55 PM
    I'm sorry but all responses are to be made on the site. I don't personally email or call anyone. The purpose is so that all concerned can see all questions and responses and someone else may have another idea or answer for you. And also someone with a similar question can see the responses.

Please ask your questions here I would be glad to assist where I can.

Stringer
    Layn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2013, 09:03 PM
    Hi Stringer!
    I am Layn. I came across this old post while "googling" information for the same thing RockSolid is in to. I have always wanted to start a business doing something with my hands, "getting dirty" because the majority of people are less likely to take on the same endeavor. I like good ol fashioned hard work. That being said, I want something in construction/real estate (Among thousands of other ideas). This is kind of the perfect job it sounds like. I've been researching this industry for a bit now but I still have no clue about it, surprisingly. The SBA/SCORE couldn't even help me with info. I've talked with a few construction companies in person but they do not really care to disclose much information and pretty much made me feel as if I was wasting their time. I need some good, solid information on where to start all the way through all details. A little background... I am a 29 year old male, a full time firefighter/paramedic, I'm married and have a 5 month old baby girl! We live in Fort Worth, Tx. I have wanted to own and operate my own business since I was a kid but just haven't pulled the trigger and I am not getting any younger. I have waited around long enough. I have to make my decision quickly! My desire is to have a very well established business so that by the time I retire from the fire department, I can still run the business! I work 24 hours on shift and am off for 48 hours until the next shift. There are many firefighters with part time businesses throughout my department and the country. Do you think this would be possible for me?
    Thank you very much for any and all information!
    -Layn
    Business Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 03:58 PM
    Hi Layn,

It is not as easy as you may think my friend, you have a lot to learn and you have to please a lot of people.

Try this website: How to Start a Cleaning Business or Janitorial Service

This may the place to start, ask questions and read they are all about 'us,'

Stringer
    gregsr1102 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2013, 01:32 PM
    Hi I need help bidding on a post construction job at a Mens Warehouse its about 10,000 sq. ft... wanting us to clean new floors and buff them not wax and general cleaning of the showroom floor... also clean the air vents there are about 20 of those in the ceiling about 25 ft high and spot clean the carpets... and the windows... very large windows at that and windows through the entrance of the store about 15 windows... any ideas

Thanks Greg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Construction clean up pricing [ 1 Answers ]

Greeting to all and thanks for your help and support. Im a small business owner in the Ohio area and was just asked to summit a bid on a new housing project, they would like for me to do the final clean up for this facility, it is 65,000 sq. ft and I have a four week time frame to complete it. ...

How Much Do I Charge on a Post Construction Clean-Up Opportunity? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to find out what to charge on a post construction clean-up opportunity. The building intels 8,400 sf of exterior glass, 775 sf of skylight glass at the top of the atrium , and 4,100 sf of interior glass at the 4 sides of the atrium. I am looking for an estamate of what to charge, the...

Commercial post const. Clean pricing per square foot [ 2 Answers ]

What is the going rate per square footage for a commercial post construction clean? It is a tim hortons restaurant.

Post Construction Clean Up [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! Good Day to all of you!I just started doing my post construction clean up and as of now I do subcontracting from other company,and now I talk to one builder and he is asking me to give him my bid.Can anyone help me please.I am living here in Toronto,Canada.thanks and have a good day!

View more questions Search