Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imelda28 Posts: 10, Reputation: -2

Mar 4, 2009, 07:40 PM
    No medical treatment but billed
    My husband fell off a ladder and the back of his arm hit me on the nose.
    It was bleeding a lot. I went to the emergency room and stayed for about 2 hours without medical treatment. A nurse had taken my blood pressure,weight and some medical info that took less than 5 minutes. I left to seek treatment elsewhere. I was sent a bill for $305 .I called the billing department and asked about it. She said I was triaged. I told her it wasn't worth that amount. I kept getting bills. Today a collection agent called.
    What is the best way to handle this situation?
    My husband went to the emergency room with pneumonia and high blood sugar.The doctor didn't treat him . His bill was written off.
    My mother had a heart attach and nobody at that hospital could tell her that.
    She had to go to a hospital in another town.
    She fell and broke her ankle but there wasn't anyone there to read the x-rays.I could tell a lot more stories about the type of "care" patients are given
    and how rude the staff is unless the person is well known or a lawyer.

Any advise is appreciated.Thanks. Imelda
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 07:49 PM
    You left AMA, so, therefore you get billed for what was done.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 07:52 PM

You can try and work out a payoff or agreement with the hospital.

But in the end, you made the choice to leave ( heck some of the ER in Atlanta a minor injury may take you 3 or 4 hours to be seen.)

But they can make you pay for the original treatment at their listed rates
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 08:26 PM

I am not a lawyer but if it were me I would request an itemized bill.Then I would compare that to what the rate should be for those services and see if there was a miscalculation.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I am not a lawyer but if it were me I would request an itemized bill.Then I would compare that to what the rate should be for those services and see if there was a miscalculation.
    In the end, she left Against Medical Advice, so she can be charged for the time used. When one leaves AMA, the hospital can choose to not treat the patient should they return within a reasonable time with the same complaints.

Mar 5, 2009, 07:58 PM
    -5 minutes = $305?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2009, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by imelda28 View Post
    -5 minutes = $305?
    Hello I:

If they would have given you an aspirin, it would have been $605.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2009, 07:05 AM

Sounds like your whole family has a history of walking out on medical care and not paying.

That aside, you are being billed for the space you took up and the services you received. I'm sure the Nurse who tended to you doesn't work for free nor were the supplies free.

Mar 10, 2009, 04:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Sounds like your whole family has a history of walking out on medical care and not paying.

That aside, you are being billed for the space you took up and the services you received. I'm sure the Nurse who tended to you doesn't work for free nor were the supplies free.
    No my whole family doesn't have a history of walking out without payment.We have paid all our medical bills regardless of what type of treatment we've had except my husbands.We just paid the insurance co-pay.The rest of the bill was written off.When I didn't get treated I drove 30 miles to an urgent care clinic.I paid $120. What made you think my mother didn't pay her bill?
    It looks like you like to judge without knowing the facts. Would you like to pay a mechanic a lot of money to fix your car then pick it up in the same condition it was brought in? By the way I didn't say I didn't want pay anything at all.I don't want to pay that high a price for 5 minutes. You don't know my family or the history of how this hospital
    Treats or doesn't treat people.It's hit or miss.Sometimes somebody will get good treatment.Sometimes they don't. I didn't get tended by a nurse at that hospital.I know that sometimes it takes a long time to be seen by a doctor especially when ambulances keep coming in on a busy day.Sometimes there are a lot of sick babies. That doesn't give them the right to rob people.
    Get over yourself.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 06:55 AM

I read all of your posts on all threads as everything that goes wrong in your life - most of it financial - being caused by someone else. You take no responsibility for your actions.

A write off is the same as not paying.

Mar 11, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I read all of your posts on all threads as everything that goes wrong in your life - most of it financial - being caused by someone else. You take no responsibility for your actions.

A write off is the same as not paying.
    When my husband explained what happened to the billing department . He was told the bill would be written off. You have a problem comprehending what you read. I've read your posts and don't see why you have the right to call yourself an expert. You have a get up on your high horse attitude and I do not want you
    To post anything else to me . I noticed that you are a moderator so if reporting you on this board doesn't accomplish anything then I will report you to the proper internet authorities.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
    When my husband explained what happened to the billing department . He was told the bill would be written off. You have a problem comprehending what you read. I've read your posts and don't see why you have the right to call yourself an expert. You have a get up on your high horse attitude and I do not want you
    to post anything else to me . I noticed that you are a moderator so if reporting you on this board doesn't accomplish anything then I will report you to the proper internet authorities.

By all means, please report me. The interesting part will be revealing your name and location - particularly in view of your various posts.

I'm not sure exactly what internet authorities you have in mind but keep me informed who they are because I have no idea what "internet authorities" monitor this board.

I'm an expert by means of training, education, experience. I also pay my bills. You?

You cannot dictate who answer you or in what fashion - your own words have come back to bite you so don't be angry with me.

You and your family have more adventures than Lassie.

Mar 16, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Consider yourself reported Angela.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:30 PM

Your husband was lucky, the billing department had no legal reason to right this off. You came here asking for legal answers and was given them,

And to be honest ungrateful for the legal advice given. And you should be thanking us for telling you the legal side of it, not the "you were lucky" side of it.

We are not here to make friends, but to tell you the truth of what can or may or should happen.
    Very few hospitals will write off a correct bill, they may settle for partial payment, but not write it off.
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Consider yourself reported Angela.

And which Internet authority received this report so I can be prepared when I hear from them?

Say goodnight Gracie.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right to refuse medical treatment? [ 3 Answers ]

I guess this is the right place to put this. I'm in my 20's and have a surgically treatable medical condition, without the surgery I'll die a very nasty painful death in 6 months to a year - but for very well thought out reasons, that I've been contemplating for 5 months already I have decided not...

Can probation officer remove you from treatment center whilyou are getting treatment [ 1 Answers ]

Can probation officer come remove you from mental facility after suicide attempts while being diagnises with bipolor disorder and receiving treatment for such denying him prescribed treatment by dr,and through you in jail for discresionary time because he basically soughtr out his own treatment...

Crating as medical treatment [ 2 Answers ]

Now that I have been told to keep Trink quiet, I am noticing how much moving she actually does. I think of her as pretty sedate, but she will get up to follow me whenever I leave a room, no matter if I am just going to be in another room for a minute. For example, if I get up while watching TV to...

Visa to seek medical treatment in United States [ 1 Answers ]

My mother in the Philippines is daignosed with stage 4 Bladder cancer and was told by her oncologist that she has only 9 to 12 months to live. I want to bring her here to United States for a more aggressive cancer treatment. How and where can I get a visa for her.

Double-Billed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My wife recently went in for a physical exam. They found her blood-pressure was a bit high so the doctor advised her to cut back on salt and get exercise. I just got the bill and found that they billed extra. I called the doctor's office and was told that the doctor billed for an...

View more questions Search