Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amypacer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Terms of Breaking a Lease
    I need to break my lease in Florida. My lease if for 1 year. In my lease it doesn't specify what is done when a lease is broken. It does say that it follows Florida Statute Chapter 83 section II for everything not covered in the lease. I read through the chapter and it doesn't say what happens when a lease is broken either... unless you are a servicemember... which I am not. So what can happen to me if I need to move?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 01:24 PM
    The general expectation is that you'll be charged for the apartment until it is re-rented or until the end of your lease period, whichever comes first.

I suggest going to your landlord to see if he/she will offer you a buyout.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 24, 2006, 04:05 PM
    In Florida the landlord can make a legal claim for all the rent, as if you were living there. There is no legal obligation on the landlord's part to re-rent the dwelling and refund you the difference. So your choices are to attempt to renegotiate a settlement with the landlord (get it in writing too) or, if your lease permits, sublet it to someone you trust who would pay you the rent, which you would then forward it to the landlord. Some landlords require signed leases here only because it lets them out of the hassle of paying a tax and they aren't really interested in holding you to the financial obligation so I would inquire with the landlord. Be straight forward and business like about it but know that they don't have any obligation to let you out of the contract.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 24, 2006, 05:44 PM
    Ditto VAL... you need to have an honest and frank discussion with your landlord about your options.
    pastorjdgray Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Thanks all. Your question and answers may help my daughter and son-in-law down near Tampa. They have a two year lease that they are six months into and need to move over towards Orlando for better job situation.

Thanks again.
    VickieD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amypacer
    I need to break my lease in florida. My lease if for 1 year. In my lease it doesn't specify what is done when a lease is broken. It does say that it follows Florida Statute Chapter 83 section II for everything not covered in the lease. I read through the chapter and it doesnt say what happens when a lease is broken either...unless you are a servicemember...which i am not. So what can happen to me if I need to move?
    Did u find an answer to your question. I need the same answer.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 05:02 AM
    Hello Vickie:

The answer is you can be held to the agreement you signed.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease due to medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was...

Breaking a lease in NJ due to job required move [ 15 Answers ]

I started a lease in Hackensack, NJ in May 2006. My job then required me to move to MD in August 2006. The lease had no cancellation clause and I am required to continue paying rent until the apartment is re-rented (a re-rental fee was required) or until my lease runs out. Is there a provision...

Breaking lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Maine and have signed a 1 year lease. My husband and I were able to purchase a home, so obviously we will be moving out. I heard somewhere that once you have fulfilled a 1 year commitment, it doesn't matter if your landlord has you re-sign a lease, you are month to month. I haven't been...

Breaking a Lease [ 3 Answers ]

Two weeks ago I went and put a $75 deposit down on an apartment and signed a lease. The apartment wasn't supposed to be ready until Sept 26th. I got a call on Aug 30th stating the apartment was ready, but the very next day, situations arose that are going to keep me from renting the apartment. I...

View more questions Search