Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 09:18 AM
    G1 Visa and US Citizen filing jointly
    Thanks for your quick response.

My last question... just to make sure. As my income is from a different country (no any additional ones), should I report zero as income on the form to the IRS? And what's the form we should consider to file jointly? Should I also disregard the 2008 Form 1099 R from the investment related to the Roth IRA which I withdrew by the end of 2008?

My best
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 10:57 AM
    If you file jointly, In my opinion, your world-wide income becomes subject to U.S. taxes, even if your technically exempt under your G-1 visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

G1 Visa and US Citizen filing jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been already helped by atlantataxexpert last year and here I am again with another question. I'm here with a G1 visa and pay taxes in Italy. My husband is a US citizen and we have a daughter. We wish to know if we can file taxes jointly based on the fact I hold a G1 visa; plus a...

H4 Visa Filing Jointly [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Atlanta Tax Expert, I have gone through all the Questions/ Answers in the form & you have answered Nicely. But Just to confirm I am posting this Question Again. I am Working in USA since from 2006 on H1b Visa.I got married in India india in August2008 and I came back to USA on Aug...

US tax return filing Jointly with wife, canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 B visa in US. I got married in July 2007. My wife is on H4 in US with me since Aug 2007. Before that she worked in Canada up to April so she is going to file her tax return in Canada. In this case, can I file my US tax return jointly with her? Do I need to declare her income...

AAAA US Citizen filing papers for spouse with F1 Visa currently living in the USA. [ 1 Answers ]

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a US Citizen and my husband is currently enrolled in a university with F1 visa. I know I have to fill out the following forms: Forms filled out : I 130 ,I 485 , G 325, I 864, I 765, I 131 I also know that I need to...

You.S. Citizen Filing with J1 Visa Spouse [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I were married on Dec. 20, 2006. She entered the country in January 2006 on a J1 Visa, and she earned a nominal income working as an Au Pair. We are in the process to changing her status to Permanent Legal Resident, but I'm not sure how we should do our 2006 taxes (file jointly? Claim...

View more questions Search