Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlliemike Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Water Hammering in hot H2O recirc system
    I built this house on a slab 5 yrs ago. Well water to a storage tank to a booster pump to a pressure tank to the house. (2 story) Plumbing was initially laid in slab for Hot H2O recirc. On finish out with hot H2O tank upstairs plumbers installed recirc line to TACO pump T'd into cold side of H2O tank inlet. A swing ball valve for shutoff is all that is visible out of wall for this cold supply. Water flows from this T to cartridge recirc pump into a separate system to recirc. To house

I got tired of pump running 24/7 as we are gone a lot so I put a timer on it. About 4 months later water hammering starts and stops when any faucet is turned off then on. Hammering seems to come from inside wall area where cold supply is but it could be transmitting from somewhere else. I opened hot H2O relief valve and drained some but hammering still there. Any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 09:20 AM

You need to drain more of the system if you are trying to eliminate water hammer. Shut off your main, flush all toilets and open all faucets, open the stops below each sink and toilet and allow to drain. That should replenish any air chamber that may have filled with water.

Mar 5, 2009, 01:43 PM

OK I will try but when you say open the stops below each sink do you mean assure that the shutoff valves are open? I assume you mean I don't need to drain hot H2O tank. Small things like the fridge water line? The washer shutoff is in a tough area to reach. Thank you.

Mar 5, 2009, 02:56 PM

No on the hot water tank and yes on the shut off valves. They are actually called stops, disconnect the tubing that comes out of the stop and then open the stop.

Mar 9, 2009, 09:00 AM

Drained everything. I may have found culprit. The area where I had been hearing the hammering started again intermittently without the pump on. It all seems to be caused from the shower/body spray valve in the freestanding wall of the shower wall. I can make the pipe rattle by quickly turning the shower handle on/off. Weird.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 09:29 AM

Please, take photo of the heater/pump set up and its connections and post it.

Mar 10, 2009, 01:12 PM

OK. Give me a couple of days to get it posted. Thanks

Mar 11, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Name:  100_1264.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  100_1261.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  119.5 KB

Mar 11, 2009, 02:48 PM

That brown fixture looks like a booster pump or recirc pump, what does the label say on the side?

Mar 12, 2009, 09:47 AM

That's the TACO recirc pump. It's a bronze model 007-BF5.

Mar 25, 2009, 12:14 PM

I replaced the cartridge in he recirc pump ($100) and it still hammers off and on sometimes with the faucet on sometimes with it off. Very intermittent. It is definitely coming from inside the wall immediately below where the recirc pump copper pipe feeds into the system not more than 2 feet linearly away. Only hammers when recirc pump is plugged in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammering, water arresters, big pipe flowing into small pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a water hammer (I'm guessing) problem in our house. All the pipes are under the house and it is a timber house so each time there is a water hammer noise it is extremely noisy. Basically any tap in the house is making the noise when turning on or off quickly with loud bangs. Cold...

Loud water hammering [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced my shower/tub faucets and had to replace the valve. A few weeks after replacing the valve the shower has randomly made a very loud vibrating sound. The shower is used daily and it only happens about once or twice a week. It starts about a minute or two after turning the shower on....

Water hammering [ 2 Answers ]

When ever I try and flush a toilet, and turn on a faucet at the same time I get very little water pressure and also get a hammering sound. I have a water pressure regulator at the water inlet. Could it be bad?

Hammering in my hot water heating boiler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a zoned in floor hot water heating system that is hammering. The system hammers in the boiler when I have only one zone on. When more than one zone calls for heat, then there is no hammering. * I have installed spiro vents to remove all of the air. * I have checked the pump, and it is...

Water hammering [ 1 Answers ]

I recently closed the supply lines to both my commodes for approximately two weeks to avert any water accident while I was away. Now every time they are flushed there is a loud machine gun like banging both at the area of the commodes and in the kitchen sink/dishwasher area. I open the fawcets in...

View more questions Search