Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharfygal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 09:59 AM
    How to well in college being a new student
    I am a new student at a junior college taking 4 classes. How do you study for them? Do I just study each class a little a day, or what? I am confused with How I will get all A's. It's a little overwhelming. Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Hey, I have been there, done that, and am still doing it. What I have been taught in my 2 years so far is that for every hour you spend in class, you should spend up to 3 hours outside of class studying.

So, if you are in class for 6 hours a week, you should study 18 hours at home. This is how I got my high GPA and induction to the international honor society.

Have you declared a major? What classes will you be taking?

The following came from my Nursing 111 Syllabus.

TEACHER'S TOP TEN TIPS
    1. Attend class. We cover something imprtant every single class meeting.

2. Prepare daily (even Friday). School is hard work and you must be prepared.

3. Take detailed notes. Don't just copy what you see on the board or slides.

4. Recopy your notes. At least go over them with a highlighter.

5. Read the book. Try reading it 3 times. First, scan it briefly before class so you willknow a little bit about the topics. Second, read it in more detail after class and highlight the important concepts. Third, before the exam, reread the highlighted questions.

6. Use flash cards. These are great for key words and concepts.

7. Allow ample time to study. For each hour of class, allow three hours of study time.

8. Earn extra credit. Take advantage of any opportunity to earn extra points.

9. See a tutor.

10. Join a study group. They work because you have to explain the concepts to someone else. If you don't know it, you can't explain it.

This has worked for me so far!!!! Good luck!!!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Umm, you have reached college and don't know how to study? May I ask what you have been doing for the last 12 years? The fact that you were accepted to college indicates you got at least decent grades previously. The fact that you aspire to all A's indicates that you have gotten very good grades previously.

If so, just continue doing what you have been doing. How much time you spending studying depends on the course. Some courses require more, some less.

The only thing I caution you is not to get TOO caught up in campus life. This is probably the biggest gotcha for freshman, especially if you are dorming. I'm not suggesting you become a monk, but make sure your studies come first. As you get acclimated, you will learn to budget your time more.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 03:10 PM
    One of the best ways to learn a subject is to be able to teach it to another. As in, read a section and then try to explain it, out loud, to someone or nobody. If you don't know the subject you just read well enough to talk about it, you still have not learned it.

I used to do this all the time. In my car, kitchen, wherever... try to talk to through, summarize it in your head, usually to nobody. Worked for me when I had to deal with conceptual learning.

It doesn't work for all classes, but its one approach.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
    That was my answer #10, If you can't explain it, you don't know it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

College [ 6 Answers ]

With colleges that require you to live on campus the first year or two, will any allow you to bring your baby with you? I know Longwood allows it in certain cases but I was wondering if anyone knew of others that did. If not does anyone know if those colleges will let you live off campus instead?

Electoral College. [ 1 Answers ]

A state having two Senators and one Represenative in congresss has how many Presidential electors in the Electoral College?

College funds [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1 year old daughter and would like to start some kind of college fund for her but have no clue what would be the best program out there. Please advice which fund would be best and save money on Taxes. Thanks, Joe

View more questions Search