Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Mice!!
    Okay folks, I know someone has an answer to this. I am having a problem with mice. They scare the bejezuz out of me. I can handle most anything, but they are fast and they have tails!! :eek:

I have a two story house on a slab, all my food is in storage containers, house is always clean. I have tried everything from sticky traps, mouse traps, humane traps, and moth balls. I cannot seem to get rid of these critters.

All holes leading to the outside such as the dryer vent have either been sealed or critter-proofed.

I had them all winter and went through the summer fine. Yesterday I found one in my bathtub!! :eek: This morning found one running through my bedroom!! :mad:

These look like babies. I have no idea what to do, can someone please help me?:confused: I am a very clean person and rodents like these are known to harbor disease. Please I am desperate!!

Oh yeah, cats are out of the question!!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 08:21 AM
    We'd get them in the house I grew up in from time to time.

Theyd get into the register vents, as we had bigger registers with ornate, shell shaped openings... big enough for them to jump in. we'd actually have to lift a floor register here and there and put traps in the venting. What a pain. This was an older house, and most houses don't have floor vents like ours did, so that may not be your problem. Wed also put foil on the floor of the vent so you could hear it crinkle if there were in there.

Wed just use traps until they were gone.
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Our vents are ceiling vents. We have foil under the kitchen sink and the bottom of the pantry. I understand they do not like the feel of the foil.

We have been using traps, but they are not going away!!
    EEEKKK, I HATE MICE!!
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Aug 24, 2006, 08:42 AM
    Have you considered using hot sauce?? Okay, sorry. But, actually, I know for a fact that cayenne will keep most animals away.

I think you have 2 choices really. Find their source of entry and food and eliminate it completely or call a professional exterminator. There is this stuff on the market called "Just one Bite" rat bait, you can find it online at valleyvet.com. My mom has used it and swears by it. The only downer is that a couple of days later, you will really have to scrupulously look through your home to find the dead mice or your home will stink to high heaven.

I feel for you, I don't like Mice either. Good Luck!
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Hot sauce? As pres of the hot sauce club I should have known that. Where do you put it? I don't want to pour my precious hot sauce around the perimeter of the house like a barricade?!

Oh, Lordy, I just don't know what I am going to do!

Now, I am afraid to go up to the bedroom!!

Aug 24, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Walk around in rain boots, at least if it comes near your foot you won't touch it! Eeewwwww!
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 09:36 AM
    LMAO!! I may have to do that. But now I don't even want to sleep in my own bed. I am going out in a few to buy the entire city of Memphis out of traps.

Going to put them around all the baseboards!! Just hope the dogs don't try and lick the peanut butter off the traps! OUCH!!

I GOT HIM!!

One mouse down, hopefully no more to go!!

Aug 24, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Wow, you are a true Mouse Terminator... (in her best Arnold voice) "AAhhhhl be bock!"

Impressive, now who has to discard it?? I'd pay someone a thousand dollars to do it for me...
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by momincali
    Have you considered using hot sauce????
    Quote Originally Posted by momincali
    Walk around in rain boots, at least if it comes near your foot you won't touch it! eeewwwww!
    POLICE REPORT

Memphis, Tn -

A woman was found today after neighbors heard a scream and what sounded like a "thump." Local police arrived on the scene to find a woman, dressed in rain boots and carrying hot sauce, passed out in her bathtub after apparently, this is a direct quote, having "the bejezus" scared out of her. No arrests have been made. Rumor is there is a thousand dollar reward for finding the culprit. =)

Aug 24, 2006, 02:53 PM
    KP-

Thank you for the visual! I am being stared at strangely by all here wondering what brought me to the floor laughing in histerics.
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 03:00 PM
    OMG!!

KP, you are too freaking funny.

I laughed till I cried. Oh, jeez, now my tummy is sore!!
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 03:09 PM
    I made my 13 year old daughter get rid of it!!

She has no problem with mice, especially if she wants to go rollerskaing on Friday!! :eek:

Just kidding, she ain't afraid of no mice!!

And yes, it is reminiscent of the movie Mouse Trap!!
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    OMG!!!!!!!

KP, you are too freaking funny.

I laughed till I cried. Oh, jeez, now my tummy is sore!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rain boots, hot sauce and a sore tummy.

Sounds like one hell of a date.
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Is that a proposition?

LOL
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 24, 2006, 03:54 PM
    OMG LOL too funny, well, except for the mouse LOL hope Thomas doesn't see this one :eek:
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Sep 7, 2006, 10:35 PM
    Best solution in town --> get a cat. Will clear up your mouse trouble. Cat is low maitenance, and low cost. If it is an indoor cat it will be very affectionate. (out door cats are moody).

Also, you can leave a cat alone in the house (with plenty food/water) for up to 3 days.

Just an idea
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Sep 8, 2006, 05:28 PM
    I've heard that peppermint oil works. Not really sure because I have cats. My sister swears by it. She says that is has to be real not imitation. And it smells good.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Now we are up to rain boots, hot sauce, sore tummy, and peppermint oil.

Keep this up and ill have my halloween costume in no time.
    Expert

Sep 8, 2006, 05:43 PM
    I have tried moth balls, shall we add this to the list?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 9, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Thought I was in the lounge for a minute,except for all the mice, no laughing matter. I went to
    Minards, a department store and got a couple of electronic pest control boxes and just plugged them in around the house and haven't seen a mouse or a roach yuugh-in years. Google electronic pest control to see what's available and where and they don't bother pets so try it and if it works Starbucks on you. LUCK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mice [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

Mice in ceiling of semi-detached house [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. I am a new owner of a semi-detached house. I have heard very occasional skittering in my living-room ceiling and suspect mice. I have looked both on the outside and inside the house, but can find no obvious entry point. Could the mice be in the walls and/or coming in...

Mice [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

View more questions Search