Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2009, 07:29 PM
    New toilet installation in finished basement.
    I just laid porcelain tile in my basement bathroom and I set the tile right up to the drain pipe for the toilet coming up through the concrete. Now I'm hearing that I should have chiseled out the concrete around the pipe so that the closet flange could be glued down over the pipe. Don't they make a flange that goes down inside the drain pipe instead of outside and are there any big problems with using it?
    Also, the floor was somewhat unlevel right by the drain pipe and I have a feeling the toilet won't sit flush to the tile all the way around. What's the best way to make the toilet set solidly on the tile so it won't rock at all? Shims of some kind?
    Thanks in advance. I always get good answers here.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Hi Dave... been awhile. Hope all is good!

What size pipe? They do make a TWIST AND SET flange that fits inside the pipe... see picture. These are sold at home depot or local plumbing supply house.

You still need to secure the flange through the tile... ;) Let us know if need more info...

To balance the toilet they make PLASTIC toilet shims... see picture. ALso available at home depot or plumbing supply house...

MARK
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:40 PM

What size is the toilet stup up pipe, 3 or 4 inch? If 4 then you can use a twist and set, which does go inside of pipe. If 3, then still same answer, but I have never used a 3. I believe it was ballengerb that said he has used three inch twist and set with no problems. I would agree (after thinking about it) that there would be no problem with these. Just cut pipe level with floor and inset flange.. As far as leveling toilet. There are a few ways. Caulking with shims, or grouting with shims, or,, plaster of paris has worked well for me. Hope this helps. Also, make sure to anchor closet flange with hilti type concrete anchors.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:41 PM

Mark beat me. Sorry.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:42 PM
    Nice to see we agree... Dave should have no issues knowing what to do... :)

Mar 3, 2009, 07:49 PM

Massplumber, long time no see. Thanks, I'll look for one of them. I have a bit to drill through the tile and then I can use a regular masonry bit and drill a 3/16" hole and use Tapcon screws to anchor the flange. At least that's what I was planning on. Do you recommend a specific wax ring?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
    I'm a fan of wax rings with plastic sleeve... ;)... see picture. Use 5/16" closet bolts... best overall. A regular masonary bit should get through the tile... unless porcelain tile?
    Attached Images

Mar 3, 2009, 07:56 PM
    No fighting over me guys, I have plenty of questions to go around. :) It's a 4" pipe by the way. To set the toilet with grout or caulk and shims, do I level it and then caulk/grout around the base?
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:59 PM

Yep, exactly. Just make sure to allow time for caulk, or grout to fully cure before using toilet..

Mar 3, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Yes, it's porcelain tile. Ok, 5/16" it is. Thanks
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Me and Lee (mygirlsdad) are friends. We never compete.. only compliment each other and a few others around here. Combined we have 4-5 guys that really make for a well-rounded discussion on any topic of plumbing... except maybe power showers... ;)... we are still lost on that subject... LOL!

Keep us posted Dave!

MARK
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:04 PM
    I also agree with Mark about the ring with sleeve. As far as brands go, they are all the same. I use hercules, but that's just because that's what my boss orders.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Me and Lee (mygirlsdad) are friends. We never compete..only compliment each other and a few others around here. Combined we have 4-5 guys that really make for a well-rounded discussion on any topic of plumbing...except maybe power showers...;)...we are still lost on that subject...LOL!

Keep us posted Dave!

MARK
    Yep. And I'm still wondering about that power shower myself. I couldn't even bring myself to answer on that one.

Mar 3, 2009, 08:11 PM

So, no PVC glue required using this style flange?

Mar 3, 2009, 08:18 PM

Mark, I gathered that you two were friends. I was kidding. You guys make me feel much more confident about these plumbing jobs. You make it all sound so easy. It's good to get advice from guys so knowledgeable.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:18 PM

Correct. No glues or cleaners necessary.

Mar 3, 2009, 08:22 PM
    I think I like the caulk and shims idea better. I'm not sure how I would get the grout into the gap as well as the caulk.
    Can I get the plastic shims from Lowe's or HD?
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:24 PM

I agree Dave. Yes you should be able to get the shims at either of these places.

I have seen where the tile layer will use the same grout on toiler bowl base as he did on tile. Looks nice, but it would definitely be easier to use the caulking, and will work just as well.

Mar 3, 2009, 08:26 PM

You guys are so quick and you're editing your previous posts too so I apologize for asking questions that you've already answered.

Mar 3, 2009, 08:29 PM

I'd be afraid the grout would break apart or crumble eventually.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I add vents in my finished basement? [ 7 Answers ]

I have finished the framing and I need to run some lines from the trunk lines into the newly added rooms in my basement. I built soffits around the main/trunk lines and I'm wondering if I should have done the HVAC ducts first. I thought I'd run a rectangular duct through the soffit and just put the...

Heating a finished basement [ 2 Answers ]

I have a finished basement, furnished and live in the Midwest. I do not use the are very rarely in the winter. I would like to know how much it would decrease my heating bill. I could close it off with a temporary closure. I have all the heat ducts closed. Is it worth the effort to close it...

Basement toilet way too far from finished wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I had our house built 5 years ago roughed in for 1/2 bath in the basement. Now that I'm finishing the basement, I've run into a problem. All the walls are framed, drywall is up and bath is ready for toilet installation. Much to my chagrin, I realized now that the center of the soil stack is 20"...

Plumbing in a finished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently finishing the basement in my home built about 2 years ago. The people that did the plumbing and heating didn’t want to spend the time to keep all of the plumbing and ductwork up in the joists so I’m having to move a bunch of it. I actually have 2 questions: 1. I have an A/C...

View more questions Search